General
Stumbling blocks when giving up smoking

Stumbling blocks when giving up smoking

Shared by:

Anyone who has quit smoking will agree that even with so many suggestions on how to break the habit, the bottomline remains the same: it is not easy to stop.

today.mims.com

18 Jul 2016 - General

I am a previous smoker for 5 years, and let's admit that it is very difficult to quit smoking. Doctors are the worst patients, they say. Despite the warning label on the cigarette or having the knowledge what chronic smoking can do to the body, it still is indeed difficult. It started out with, "I'm stressed, I need to smoke." to "I need to smoke because I feel the need to." and the cycle goes on and on and on until you can't get out of that loop. But when you hav...
 (Total 113 words)
Hi! I used to be a chronic chain smoker. I'm proud to say that I was able to quit last March without any intervention. But before this, I had one attempt to quit the year prior. I was able to quit for 3 months then returned to smoking. It is really difficult to quit smoking because for one its more than just an addiction. Its actually a coping mechanism. When I'm under stress, I smoke. It has been that for >10 years and looking for other quick fix for stress is difficult. Plus, I have...
 (Total 149 words)
There was this P health belief model where they categorise people into the following 5 stages of behavioural change. Although most smokers want to stop smoking, only about15% are ready to stop smoking at any given time (Preparation phase)(DiClemente et al, 1991). In the context of smoking cessation the characteristics of the smoker in each of the stages are described below.

• Precontemplation stage (35%) – Not thinking about stopping smoking -- Advise the smoker on the relevance to his ...
 (Total 207 words)
Giving up smoking can be extremely challenging. In addition to overcoming the physical dependence, kicking the habit also means overcoming the strong psychological reliance that can come from smoking over a period of time. If you are considering quitting but are struggling then consultation with a Clinical Psychologist using Motivational Interviewing techniques can help you to think about where you are on the journey to quitting and what might be your stumbling blocks. Once these are identified ...
 (Total 184 words)
Great day everyone! I am a previous smoker who used to smoke 10 cigarette sticks per day. n my personal experience, I have tried and failed 27 times before I was able to quit. Quitting is very difficult since the half-life of nicotine is about 1-2 hours. Moreover, you will forge relationships with fellow smokers whom you meet during cigarette breaks. Stressors will reel you in the circle of smokers if you are not fully committed to quit for good. My advice to those who try to quit is to go cold ...
 (Total 131 words)
There used to be a time when healthcare workers and especially doctors used to smoke a lot. In fact it used to be considered like a status symbol. A lot of film heroes whom the new generation liked to emulate also endorsed. However there has been a rapid decline in the social popularity of smoking in India over the past 2 decades. It can be attributed to awareness about its hazards and restriction on its sale to minors. Quitting can be difficult for those who have linked their habit to work. Ef...
 (Total 153 words)
I do not, and have never smoked, but I just wanted to leave a comment here. In my country, smoking among doctors is very rare. And I thought the situation is similar in other countries as well. Is it not? I agree that our jobs can be stressful, but I don't believe smoking really helps to overcome our problems. The reason for smoking being seen less in healthcare professionals is probably because we have first hand experience of the harm that it does to the body. We see patients who live mise...
 (Total 108 words)