General

Happiness Genes Located

Created by:

19 Jul 2016 - General

Wow! I may not be an expert in genetics, but this is a very interesting topic. Nature and nurture, the two factors that influence the development of a person. While having a positive environment (like having mentally, emotionally and physically supportive parents) can greatly influence a person, nature, i.e., our genes, also play a great deal on our predispositions towards our mental and emotional health. This meta-analysis of various studies involving almost 300,000 people around the globe has determined genetic variants for general well-being, depression and neuroticism. They discovered 3 variants for general well-being, 11 variants for neuroticism, and 2 variants for depression. It would be interesting for a future study to see if people having the "happy" genes actually have a "happy" quality of life and those with "sad" genes have a "sad" quality of life.

http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/21028/20160421/researchers-discovers-genes-associated-happiness-depression-neuroticism.htm

That is quite fascinating. I have always been fascinated with the field of genomic medicine but have a tinge of fear with the field as well. It would be great to treat people with profound psychiatric conditions through gene therapy and save them from a life time of maintenance medications, therapy, relapses and psychiatric admissions. I do hope that ethical standards will be upheld at all costs. It is fine for an individual to feel lonely, sad, depressed or the like at one point or another in t...
 (Total 147 words)
All kinds of emotions are unstable. Happiness, sadness, guilt.. all these emotions come and go. I have never seen an individual who was able to sustain happiness all through his life so I am also unsure how can a scientist identify a gene for a certain emotion that come and goes. As for sense of well being, perhaps a questionnaire can ascertain perception on this topic. However, this may lack objectivity and may be a source of research bias. In my personal opinion, genetic association studies ar...
 (Total 127 words)
What is the implication for this? Is the gene responsible for our serotonin , endorphin, monoamine or norephinephrine production or sensitivity in the brain? It is known that mood disorder and personality disorder have a familiar tendency and production of serotoniinm endorphin and monoamine in the brain have a role to play in the manifestation of symptoms. Detection of such gene is probably expected but still exciting, Will there come a time we can offer gene therapy to slice out the sad gene o...
 (Total 112 words)