General
Smoking during pregnancy reduces chances of having grandkids

Smoking during pregnancy reduces chances of having grandkids

Shared by:

Women looking to get pregnant, and even men wanting to have children, are advised to quit smoking. Smokers are twice likely to be infertile. The hazardous chemicals in cigarettes also reduce their chances of conceiving. That’s nicotine, tar, and carbon monoxide, all of which can cause complications during pregnancy.

today.mims.com

19 Jul 2016 - General

There are just too many harmful effects of smoking but the number of smokers are just too much.
Smoking will result in uncountable problems such as cardiovascular diseases, cerebral vascular accidents (stroke), lung cancer, intral uterine growth retardation during pregnancy titis media in children exposed to passive smoking and many more to list. Thus I feel that there should be more smoking cessation programmes set up to help people quit smoking, this will greatly reduce the healthcare burd...
 (Total 109 words)
I actually didn't know that she smoked throughout her pregnancies. I thought it was automatic for mothers to prioritize their child, first, before anything else. I was really shocked when she said that to us. I'm used to mothers putting the baby first. Like when I have mothers with infected teeth (needing a root canal or a tooth extraction), we request clearance from the OB but we always get refused and the mom is just fine. She cries of the pain but depends on biogesic for it---and when...
 (Total 153 words)
Yes I totally agree with Marinelle. If your friend is not certain about the harm of tobacco, she ought to have checked with her obstetrician. Your friend do not have a say on whether she should be smoking when pregnant. Her choice is as good as the choice of the fetus and I doubt the fetus will opt for a premature death before taking her first breathe on earth nor will she opt to have a cleft lip or other congenital malformation so that Mama can a few whiff of the poisonous aroma of tobacco. The...
 (Total 151 words)
Hi Maria, I can't believe your friend continued to smoke despite being pregnant. Eventhough I used to be a heavy smoker, I think being pregnant is reason enough to quit. Smoking specifically induces systemic vasoconstriction and thrombotic tendencies. For a pregnant woman who supplies blood to her baby, smoking is unthinkable. I don't think that the "high" someone gets from smoking is worth it at the expense of her babies' health. A lot of my smoker friends who quit after k...
 (Total 118 words)
How the title describes the situation is kind of alarming. That's suffering for 2 generations for the mistakes made by one person. In my country, smoking among women is very minimal, and specifically pregnant women who smoke is rare. Still we find some smoking pregnant mothers in clinics. We counsel them and discourage them from smoking and it is often effective. In my opinion, smoking if you are pregnant should be considered a criminal offense. Because it's not their own health they'...
 (Total 107 words)
The UK Teratology Information Service (uktis) have published a report on the use of tobacco in pregnancy. A summary is freely available which notes that "This is a summary of the full UKTIS monograph for health care professionals and should not be used in isolation. The full UKTIS monograph and access to any hyperlinked related documents is available to health care professionals at www.toxbase.org."
The summary says: "Smoking (including passive smoking) during pregnancy cause...
 (Total 122 words)
I have a friend who smoked throughout two of her pregnancies. She smoked all throughout high school and then in College and although she briefly quit a few years ago when she started running, I know she still puffs from time to time. Most women quit smoking as soon as they get pregnant. Her argument is that studies are weak about the true harm of smoking on the developing fetus and true enough, both her babies are healthy and they're quite lovely today.

I don't really have much...
 (Total 125 words)