General

Things to consider doing in San Francisco

Created by:

19 Jul 2016 - General

• Alcatraz

The island itself has remained more or less the same since the Park Service first opened it to visitors in 1973, but the tours of the world-famous prison have been getting better and better over the years. In the past, you could go only with a guide; now, well-produced audio tours, featuring the voices of real inmates and guards, let you explore at your own pace. Prefer the human touch?Take the eerie nighttime tour, which includes a narrated circuit around the island.

for over 150 years, the name has given the innocent chills and the guilty cold sweats. Over the decades, it’s been the nation’s first military prison, a forbidding maximum-security penitentiary and disputed territory between Native American activists and the FBI.

• Golden Gate Bridge

The 1937 bridge induces a thrilling case of Vertigo . Fog aficionados prefer the north-end lookout at Marin’s Vista Point , to watch gusts billow through bridge cables. To see both sides of the Golden Gate debate, hike or bike the 1.7-mile span.  Pedestrians and cyclists can cross the bridge on sidewalks. For drivers, bridge tolls are billed electronically to your vehicle's license plate.

• Sunset Bay Cruise

With live commentary by the captain and cool background music, this cruise is a wonderful way to explore San Francisco Bay at twilight during late March through early November. As the sun begins to set over the Marin Headlands, you'll cruise past Alcatraz, Angel Island and the shorelines of Tiburon, Belvedere and Sausalito. Watch the sun setting over the Pacific Ocean as you sail west toward the Golden Gate Bridge. On your way back to Fisherman's Wharf you'll see many more famous sights, including the Presidio, the Marina District and Fort Mason. During your sunset or twilight cruise, head to the light appetizer buffet.

• Fisherman's Wharf

Before the Golden Gate Bridge was built, Hyde Street Pier was the main ferry pier connecting San Francisco with Marin County. Nowadays, it is part of the San Francisco Maritime Historical Park. The pier is home to several historical vessels. This is one of those must do things in San Francisco. A bit touristy but kind of cool because you can see Alcatraz, the seals and some great restaurants along the area. 

• Golden Gate Park

You will find a windmill near the park's northwestern edge, at a stone's throw of the Pacific Ocean. The function of this mill was to pump groundwater for park irrigation, which was deemed a lot better than purchasing water from the local water company. Keep in mind that water is a scarce commodity in this town. The Dutch Mill pumped 30,000 gallons per hour. What seemed a good plan then later had a negative effect on the park's reputation, because modern parks use recycled water instead of relying upon the city's ground water supply. 

Ya you unfortunately cannot climb the Golden gate bridge like the Sydney harbor bridge but you can definitely walk across. If you are an active person I suggest to join runs. I did the Presidio Run where in the 10k route you get to run across the Golden gate bridge. Then there is this run called Bay to Breakers. This one takes you through the city and you end up at the Pacific Ocean Coast. This run has the serious runners and those well who are just there for the fun of it. People dress up from ...
 (Total 114 words)
There are three main mascots of San Francisco - Golden Gate Bridge, cable car and sour dough bread.

For foodwise, San Francisco has several great restaurants rated high by Zagat: particularly Gary Denko - fine dining with a superb mix and match combination of 5 courses anything on the menu including meat, seafood, desserts or appetisers; coi - extremely delicate fine dining revolving around seafood; Kokkari Estiatorio - impressive Greek food that's certainly afforable; boulevard - o...
 (Total 86 words)
No bro, unlike the Sydney Harbour Bridge where you can pay $200 for a walk up tour, the Golden gates Bridge does not provide a walk up tour. But i heard rumours about them setting up and trying to add on safety features in the future to accommodate those thrill seekers and also to generate a revenue to maintain the bridge.

But all these is just a prediction and no concrete evidence to state that they would do so. Otherwise, my suggestion to you is ride a bicycle to ride across the bri...
 (Total 122 words)
Thanks for sharing the information Alan. San Francisco is considered one of the most beautiful cities in the US. If I were to ever visit this nice place, I'd remember not to miss any of the places you have mentioned. The golden gate is a very familiar sight mainly from the countless number of movies that feature that bridge. I have seen videos taken from the top of the golden gate bridge, and the view is breathtaking. One question though. Are tourists allowed to climb to the top of the bridg...
 (Total 116 words)