General
Radiologists Take On Bigger Role in Diagnosing

Radiologists Take On Bigger Role in Diagnosing

Shared by:

Radiologists, who interpret imaging scans, have begun working more closely with physicians who make medical decisions for patients at NYU Langone Medical Center.

www.wsj.com

19 Jul 2016 - General

@Virgilio: That's an excellent way of putting it. I'm just curious how radiologists improve public health and cancer screening in the Philippines. I'm not aware of any public health programs that is advocated by the Filipino radiologists at this point. From what I have observed in several leading institutions in the country, their focus is still to improve technological advances of imaging modalities in our setting. As an example, there are only a few institutions who have functional...
 (Total 125 words)
The traditional view of the radiologist in a dark room in front of a view box and adding value to the health care system solely by interpreting images is rapidly becoming outdated. While advances in imaging technology, especially CT and MRI, have expanded radiologist’s diagnostic capabilities, the value of the radiologist has also expanded outside of image interpretation. Advances in information technology have the potential to make the role of the radiologist more central in the overall systems...
 (Total 122 words)
Hi Ziwei, I think the difference in this team collaboration is the timing when it is done. As mentioned in the article, “virtual rounds” are conducted every morning, wherein critically-ill patients are imaged everyday to monitor for disease progression. Right after imaging, which coincides with morning rounds, the attending doctor collaborates with the radiologist and discusses details of the current imaging findings and its correlation with the patient’s progress. Sometimes images do not correl...
 (Total 130 words)
How is this different from the x-ray conference before the early morning surgical round? Looks like the only difference is that it is conducted online. To me, x-ray conference is more to question the radiologist on certain aspect of radiological findings that are not usually reported like likelihood of a pancreatic mass is a cancer, likelihood of a tumour impinging onto the abdominal aorta or invaded the aorta, origin of a post op fistula that opens into a surgical wounds. Sometimes it turn into...
 (Total 100 words)
I also believe that this new move of radiologists participating in ward rounds would be an effective way to improve the quality of care patients receive at the hospital. The concept of virtual ward rounds has been there for a while. It is a way of a team of medical professionals from different specialties connecting through electronic media to discuss the management of a patient. Sometimes the patient is taken to a room with cameras from all angles, so the doctors can see and assess the patient ...
 (Total 129 words)
This is good news! Its the first time I've heard of virtual rounds, which I think is a brilliant idea. In my specialty, looking at scans and MRIs is similar to drinking water, you cannot survive the specialty without doing it. It's always nice to collaborate with radiologists because they give you a full perspective on the imaging findings. All medical professionals are trained to interpret these imaging modalities to a certain extent, but radiologists are specially trained to interpret ...
 (Total 112 words)