General
Gonorrhoea might soon be resistant to all antibiotics

Gonorrhoea might soon be resistant to all antibiotics

Shared by:

The US Centres for Disease Control (CDC) has reported that gonorrhoea is now developing resistance to the last two antibiotics able to treat it. In other words, the sexually transmitted disease is on the verge of being resistance to all...

www.sciencealert.com

19 Jul 2016 - General

There have already been cases in peer reviewed literature... albeit only a couple... that have been shown to be completely untreatable even with last option antibiotics like Vancomycin. There have been other strains of this disease that have been classified as XDR, Extensively Drug Resistant, which means resistant to almost all Beta Lactam type antibiotics. And the MDR form of this disease, Multi Drug Resistant, is now wide spread. Once you hit this type of slippery slope of drug resistance, it...
 (Total 140 words)
@Ziwei: In my practice, I'm seeing more cases of HIV infection rather than gonorrhea. Of course antibiotic resistance is a real concern. That's undeniable. As healthcare professionals, I think even before we fail, we should be one step ahead. I'm certain that Certabiprole is so expensive that nobody can afford it as of now, but what I'm suggesting is that studies should investigate its possible utility in treating this resistant infection before we run out of options. This might ...
 (Total 140 words)
Thanks Marinelle Castro. I wonder how my patient will react when one day in the future I reveal to him there is a treatment for his gonorrhea but it will cost him roughly few thousands US dollars and it is kept under lock and key in the biggest hospital in Singapore being the last line of defense against gonorrhea. I think the issue is, are we going to fail so badly that treatment of gonorrhea has to move to our last line of defense. Will patients in the 3rd world country e able to afford this s...
 (Total 194 words)
There is a fifth generation cephalosprin, called Ceftabiprole. This is FDA approved for the treatment of community and hospital acquired (excluding ventilator-associated pneumonia) in adults. Its advantage compared to older generation cephalosoprins is its activity against methicillin-resistant staph aureus. What’s great about this medication is that it also has activity against gram negative organisms , similar to that of 3rd generation cephalosporins. There have been studies done show that Nei...
 (Total 111 words)
Yes it has been on the news for quite a while. In Singapore, our health ministry has already informed all health professional to refer cases of gonorrhea to be treated in a centralized clinic and to treat with culture and sensitivity result as well as another swap and culture as prove of cure 14 days after treatment. With a single dose ceftriaxone and a single dose azithromycin, it is not possible a compliant issue. We are also screening all our legal commercial sex worker on a regular basis for...
 (Total 137 words)
Another scary news from the medical world. Recent evidence suggests that gonorrhea is now at the verge of becoming resistant to all the antibiotics that are used to treat the infection. There were only 2 antibiotics left that were effective in treating multi-drug resistant variants of neisseria gonorrhoeae. Azithromycin and ceftriaxone were being used in combination for treatment and prevention of antibiotic resistance, but now it's shown that the resistance to these 2 antibiotics have risen...
 (Total 109 words)