General
Working full-time could be bad for your brain after a certain age

Working full-time could be bad for your brain after a certain age

Shared by:

Working long hours Monday to Friday is tough no matter how old you are, but recent research suggests that, if you're over 40, working more than 25 hours a week could actually be affecting your cognitive performance. After testing 6,500 workers in...

www.sciencealert.com

21 Jul 2016 - General

@Theekshana: I agree with you about the developing countries. I don't think the government is poor though as every country is rich with its natural resources. The people who runs the government makes it poor due to corruption. I don't want to talk more about politics as this will get nowhere, but I am hoping that someday, corruption will totally be eliminated. This is a wishful thinking but it's a possibility. :)

Science Alert is so engaging in the way they write their artic...
 (Total 121 words)
@Kathleen Thanks for sharing the news. Canadians are well known to be extra nice people, and this new universal basic income scheme they are planning to implement is really thoughtful of the government. I hope this becomes a success. I've heard that many European countries including the United Kingdom and other developed countries give such allowances to people with disability or financial instability. But the situation is far worse in most of the developing countries, particularly in the s...
 (Total 110 words)
@Theekshana: I just clicked the link (http://www.sciencealert.com/a-canadian-province-is-about-start-giving-everyone-a-universal-basic-income) which was mentioned in the article and this is what it gave me.

Mainly, the province in Canada is looking into giving its people a Universal Basic Income hoping to reduce poverty. I am not sure how would this work as they don't have specific details yet. However, I wanted to share what the government offers where I live now. In UK, they give...
 (Total 150 words)
Although the population size mentioned in the article is large, the author did not mentioned if confounding variables were taken into account, such as sleeping hours the night prior, baseline tests for memory function and end point tests done in 25 hrs work exposure and >25 hours work exposure in the same individual. Unless there is a guaranteed homogeneity in baseline executive function and cognitive ability of both population, both groups should not be compared because it will give rise to ...
 (Total 113 words)
Kathleen - Lessening work hours to spend more time with the family is a great decision, that most of us find difficult to make. Whether it makes you more intelligent or not, dedicating more of your time for your loved ones is always more important. I also in many points in my life have wanted to lessen the amount of time and energy I spend in the hospital, but there's always something that requires me to physically be in the ward. I hope your work allows you to make that change :) Wow. Get p...
 (Total 105 words)
It sounds like they only studied people over 40. So, that may just be an arbitrary cut off. It also seems like it would be extremely tough to isolate hours worked as a variable. The distribution of hours worked isn't evenly distributed throughout the population (most working people are probably in the 35-50 range) and it's strongly correlated with occupation. They didn't see a drop off in function after 25 hours, they predicted that number based on the results they found. And they th...
 (Total 146 words)
This study didn't mention as to what type of professionals took part in this. I agree when you said that the more years you work, the more experience you gained and the more knowledgeable you become. However, the study did say that working 25hours to 30hours can do you good but working more than or lesse than that could actually be bad. This needs to have more evidence and I think further research is needed in order to give us sufficient information as I for one is considering lessening my h...
 (Total 144 words)
Could this be true for doctors and other healthcare professionals? In the medical field, I don't think anyone gets to have the luxury of working less than 25 hours a week. We often do 50+ hours a week. But does that make us less intelligent? I don't think so. In my personnel experience, the most renowned surgeons and physicians I know in my country are over 40 years. The more years you have in your work history, the more skilled and experienced a person you become. The fine movements an...
 (Total 134 words)