General
Health threats of consuming sugary beverages

Health threats of consuming sugary beverages

Shared by:

A Swedish study suggests that drinking soda is linked to an increased risk of developing rare cancers of the gallbladder and the biliary tract.

today.mims.com

21 Jul 2016 - General

Soda may taste good and it certainly seem to have some addictive properties but the bottom line is that soda isn’t healthy in any amount and there is absolutely no reason or justification for consuming it.Some will argue that anything in moderation is ok, and in most cases, I’d agree. When it comes to soda, the amount of sugar and additives is so high that I don’t think “moderation” even exists, and it certainly doesn’t exist in the 20 ounce or larger bottles that are so common.We are talking a...
 (Total 127 words)
I used to love sugary drinks, especially iced tea and then I stopped sometime in 2013 and now I cannot even finish a glass. I still drink sodas when I'm out, but not when I can help it. My mom and sisters are still very much into sodas and sugary drinks, but I love WATER and of course, coffee. I hope I can really convince them to cut the habit. It used to be impossible---water does not taste like anything and sometimes you're looking for taste, so you want an iced tea or juice. But it...
 (Total 120 words)
As healthcare professionals, we are all aware that sugary drinks are not healthy in any form anyway. Whether they cause cancer or not, it has ill effects to the body, especially when consumed out of control. In our world and in this time of our lives, everything we consumed seem to have bad effects, and it will always be down to us whether we let the genetically modified products take over our health. Sugary/ Fizzy drinks are everywhere and it taste nice, but it will never be healthy. Let's ...
 (Total 94 words)
Agree with Marinelle. Any history of gall bladder irritation can cause gallbladder cancer especially chronic cholecystitis and symptomatic gallstone disease. I am surprise it is possible to do a study on sugary drink linking to gallbladder and biliary tract cancer. Again this is an observational study with no cause-effect relationship . Confounder have a lot to play since sugary drink->obesity->gall stone->Gallbladder and biliary tract cancer. I did not read the article and since the in...
 (Total 137 words)
@Marinelle: Really health you 2.0 huh.. Hehe. Yes we need to give up our "vices" if it's considere as a vice perhaps. Living in the city and dining out in restaurants pushes us to consume sodas most especially in fastfood chains. Each meal contains either sodas or juice all in all thus quite difficult to resist. But I guess if we are really persistent in keeping our goal to be healthy, we should know how to control ourselves on what food are we going to take in no matter what are s...
 (Total 93 words)
Any kind of biliary tumor, even if its benign has a toxic course because of the consequences of biliary obstruction. The incidence of gallbladder and biliary cancers are generally rare in the Philippines so the results of this observational study are quite surprising. I used to consume a lot of sodas and sweetened drinks, but I gave them up altogether with smoking since last March. What I noticed is that I feel less tired and my napping hours became more regular. I think this is a consequence of...
 (Total 112 words)
So what kind of foods are still healthy nowadays? Almost everything that we eat is most likely linked into cancer. In our practice, we have a lot of cancer patients related to either Hepatic Cancer with bone metastasis, Lung cancer and Breast Cancer are the most common. Upon reading the article rises my curiosity about gallbladder cancer. I never came accross giving care to such patients with this type of cancer. What a surprise that drinking sodas and juices can predispose us to gallbladder and...
 (Total 126 words)