General
Milk best to extinguish chili sting

Milk best to extinguish chili sting

Shared by:

While the most potent chili pepper does no permanent harm, ingesting a modest dose proves to be painful and stressful, causing the pulse to quicken, as well as triggering sweat and tears. The answer to putting out the fire? Drink milk, not water.

today.mims.com

22 Jul 2016 - General

Capsaicin dissolves in fat, oil, and alcohol but not in water. Chugging water after biting down on a chili pepper will only spread the capsaicin around the inside of your mouth, where it will come in contact with more pain receptors and amp up the burning sensation. Steer clear of beer and soda too—both beverages are mostly water.
The nerves that react to capsaicin are already primed to flare up at hot temperatures. That’s why taking a sip of coffee after eating a breakfast of eggs with srir...
 (Total 188 words)
@Tarah Cadiz, is very interesting to see those variety of different trials with sugar, peanut buttler, lemon, toothpaste and milk to overcome the burning hot chilli pepper. For sure will try to search for the channel in youtube for it. I am amaze with peanut butter and toothpaste, how people will even think of using those thing to lessen the pain by potent chilli pepper. I wonder how do they used the peanut butter or toothpaste, is it just applied in the mouth and on the tounge or just swallow t...
 (Total 109 words)

@ Theekshana Abayawickrama, yes, the burning pain of extreme hot chilli is very unbearable. In that situation, I will usually drink ice cold water or fizzy drink, which did not much help. Sometime, i will just drank a full glass of cold water, plus chewing the ice cube as well!!! But the effect of reducing the spicy burning pain was very minimal. Have not try the sugar tactic before as well.. Seem like next time should the milk therapy to fix this problem. Never try it before, will give it ...
 (Total 102 words)
Even if this works it would have nothing to do with the anti-oxidant properties. for one thing capsaicin itself is an antioxidant. oxidation is damage caused by free radicals to cell structure, since the heat from chiles is completely harmless, there is no oxidation occurring and an anti-oxidant present is not going to change anything. the perception of heat is purely a chemical reaction triggering nerve vibrations, its not actually harming or burning anything. in effect, its a false alarm and c...
 (Total 150 words)
I know the pain of accidentally chewing a hot pepper, and god it's so unbearable. What I would usually do in that situation is drink some hot water. At first the pain shoots up the roof and makes you jump off your chair, but then the pain lessens, and then I put some sugar in my mouth. This has helped me to get through most of the times I've had that experience. I never really though there will be a research on this topic, but apparently someone was so badly hurt that they wanted to do ...
 (Total 115 words)
It seems like drinking milk is the best way to counter the effects of spicy chilli that is burning in our mouth. Most of the time, when we have mistakenly eaten the potent spicy chilli or spicy curry/food, our basic reaction are to try to drink as much water as possible, trying to burning painful sensation in our lounge and mouth. And it always seems like not very effective at all. It makes sense that the research has showed that the specific protein in milk can replaces capsaicin on the recepto...
 (Total 123 words)