General
This virtual reality technology could be the future of medical education

This virtual reality technology could be the future of medical education

Shared by:

Right now, medical students have to rely on illustrations, photos, and cadavers in order to learn about the anatomy of the human body. But a company called Hololens wants to replace these static - and sometimes messy - options with a virtual...

www.sciencealert.com

22 Jul 2016 - General

I think that it’s going to be instrumental in the training and education of not just health care workers and medical professionals, but also patient education. A lot of times,patients don’t understand the procedures happening or being performed on them.By visualizing the situation, it sinks in a more visual way when they have actually experienced the procedure beforehand. They become more responsible for their own healing and treatment by having a deeper understanding. It also helps medical prof...
 (Total 172 words)
I agree. Learning from 2D images requires a great deal of imagination. In medical school, the hardest thing I found to understand was embryology. Particularly the development of the heart was very difficult to follow. The folds, the flips, the turns the developing embryo makes didn't make any sense when it was written as text. We couldn't even find any videos that showed that in detail, so I remember 4 of my friends spending hours to understand what was really happening. This technology ...
 (Total 106 words)
I've seen several futuristic models of augmented reality gadgets to teach anatomy for medical students. This is very helpful because it will enable learners to study anatomy in a 3 dimensional point of view. The disadvantage of using illustrations and cadavers is that 1) its difficult to appreciate the anatomical relationships in a 3-dimensional point of view. Usually students can only appreciate and understand 2 dimensions when learning from images. This is difficult because you have to use...
 (Total 155 words)
Virtual reality has been one of the most recent hypes in the technological world. Top end Virtual reality headsets like HTC Vive, Microsoft Hololens and Oculus Rift have already hit the market and available for consumers with a not-so-high price tag. The main focuses of these virtual reality devices are gaming, movies and design, but the possible applications of the technology is endless. Medical education is one thing that it can make a really big difference. Remember how difficult it was to un...
 (Total 112 words)