General
Work-Life Balance: A Constant Struggle for HCPs

Work-Life Balance: A Constant Struggle for HCPs

Shared by:

Asians reportedly work the longest hours in the world. 73% of millennials in Asia report working more than 40 hours a week, and nearly a quarter of them work for more than 50 hours. However, the key question that begs answering is whether such long hours necessarily results in high productivity.

today.mims.com

22 Jul 2016 - General

I also agree that work life balance is a perspective of a person. If one is passionate about his job and is happy to work hard and look forward to work everyday then no matter how much he works eg 100hours per week, he won't feel dreadful. However if one works about 50 hours a week but dealing with full of nonsense patients, nasty colleagues who backstabs and a lot of unnecessary paperwork and dreads going to work, then there's no work life balance. I guess everyone has their own thresho...
 (Total 105 words)
@Ziwei: Yes I agree that it is a matter of perception, definitely. The perception of imbalance increases if a person's viewpoint on work is negative. This is most especially true for employees who do not find their job satisfying, if they have trouble keeping up with work-related stressful situations, if they do not have friends at work and if they hate their boss. The inability to cope with all these negative scenarios at work can make a person think that he needs a vacation, more time off ...
 (Total 139 words)
I think this is a matter of choice after you have passed the initial phase. Whether you have a work life balance is a matter of perception at times. When I was a houseman, I definitely did not have a life looking back from now. However, I was so optimistic about my future and my new role as a doctor, I did not really feel anything about not getting a work life balance. When I was certain I did not want to stay in Hospital when I was a medical office, spending extra time in hospital started becom...
 (Total 151 words)
Our work hours will be the end of us. Average work hours for a resident doctor here in the Philippines is 100hours/week and that is a pretty good schedule even. Hospitalists go at about 72 hours/week. I think what is wrong here is work force to patient ratio. Too many patients and not enough health care professionals. Sure I think our system can be adjusted to some extent to help us all out but with many of us choosing to leave the country to seek for greener pastures is clearly a large factor. ...
 (Total 210 words)
If I were in Philippines with family around, I guess things would have been much easier. But, I chose the life of working abroad and juggling work and family is a challenge -- a real challenge, especially if you have children. Things are not the same back in Philippines where we have close families living nearby who can readily and would happily look after the little one. Here, things has to be arranged and work schedule has to be sorted out, opposite of my husband so we won't have to worry ...
 (Total 145 words)
In the Philippine setting, work-life balance is most especially challenging for a physician resident trainee. In my case, I have no concept of balance during the last three years of my training because I have been on-call 24/7 for three years. I practically lived within the hospital. I go home every Saturday evening, only to sleep and get clothes, then I make early rounds on Sunday morning. Despite the unphysiologic demands of training, I don't regret devoting time and effort for it because ...
 (Total 147 words)
Work is often stimulating, inspiring, fulfilling, and where we spend much of our time. Many of us are doing it partially to support our families but regardless, work in academic medicine does give us purpose and a unique opportunity to impact many lives – through research, through training a generation of physicians, through being a caring physician to our patients. We do it because we believe in it and most of the time, I really do think of it as a privilege. For me personally, several things h...
 (Total 226 words)
In the field of medicine, work-life balance is important for a health care provider since he/she gives primary care to the patients. The balance is not only focused on the physical and mental, but must be holistic. Time management and prioritization is what I usually do in order to attain a work-life balance. I see to it that after working hours, I devote my time to my family. I have two cellular phones, one for personal use and the other is my work phone. During weekends, I usually leave my wor...
 (Total 101 words)
Work-life balance is very important for our mental and physical health. Working long hours, with multiple overtime will result in work-life disparity, which will lead to a lot of negative impact on our quality of life, our mental and physical wellbeing. And some studies has even showed that working over 8 hours will increase our cardiovascular risk of having a stroke and ischemic heart disease!!! As a healthcare professional, we have always need to work long hour, and we are the susceptible grou...
 (Total 147 words)
Health care professionals really tend to have a more stressful time balanceing work and life, especially with the extended hours on the job and the occasions where some, like physicians, are needed to be on-call at any time of day (or night). Additionally, the health care profession can be not only physically and mentally draining, but emotionally exhausting as well, since HCPs tend to give a lot of themselves to their job and may somehow be emotionally affected by patients’ situations and cases...
 (Total 119 words)