General
Don’t sleep in, sleep well

Don’t sleep in, sleep well

Shared by:

Instead of spending your vacation catching up on sleep, an expert from the University of Eastern Finland suggested that you improve your sleeping habits.

today.mims.com

23 Jul 2016 - General

Thanks for the great input. Would agree that getting regular sleep pattern and sleeping hours is not always possible for healthcare professionals, especially doctor who work in the hospital settling, with regular on-call duty. @Ziwei Xie may the lucky doctor working in primary care setting , that can maintain a good sleeping habit. Quick napping of 15-20 minutes during the day time when really tired, did help a bit, but is not always possible !!! Coffee and coffee might be the alternative way. ...
 (Total 107 words)
Thank you for sharing the article, and Ziwie for your valuable advice. Oh how I wish I wasn't a doctor when it comes to early morning wake up calls and sleepless nights. Lack of sleep is something that goes so closely with the life of a doctor, and in that case most medical professionals. Sleeping in during the weekends is actually more tiring than refreshing for me after a busy week with only a few hours of sleep per day. I try to get a nap whenever possible, but most of the times they limi...
 (Total 119 words)
Same. I don't sleep in, even during weekends. I still wake-up the same time (as if I have work). I only sleep in when I have a headache from the previous night, but that's difficult too because my mind wants to wake up but my body wont. So yes, I will try to sleep, but if I cannot go back to sleep after 20-30 minutes or if I keep waking up anyway, I just stand up and start my day in a very very slow and lazy pace. Maybe watch tv, maybe do some reading, but definitely will have some coffe...
 (Total 160 words)
I've really guilty of poor sleeping habits. This particularly worsened when I started subspecialty training because I am on-call most of the time. My sleeping habits became so irregular since then. These days my sleeping hours are too varied. At the most extreme, I sleep as late as 9am and wake up by noon. My earliest sleeping time is 10pm. It's so hard to break the habit of staying awake during the night. I like working and becoming productive in the wee hours of the night because its s...
 (Total 126 words)
Yes I agree. Avoid sleeping in even on weekends. The more your weekend/weekday sleep schedules differ, the worse the jetlag-like symptoms you’ll experience. If you need to make up for a late night, opt for a daytime nap rather than sleeping in. This allows you to pay off your sleep debt without disturbing your natural sleep-wake rhythm.While napping is a good way to make up for lost sleep, if you have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep at night, napping can make things worse. Limit them to...
 (Total 150 words)
Getting enough sleep is very important for our daily health, and to ensure we can have enough energy and concentration during the day time. Catching up on the sleeping hours during vocation should not be a solution for bad habit. As the article has pointed out, regular good sleeping habit is very important, and we should maintain it at daily basic. We should try to relax out mind before we sleep, avoiding using laptop, smartphone browsing through website on bed before sleeping, as this will dela...
 (Total 115 words)