General
What do doctors do in their free time?

What do doctors do in their free time?

Shared by:

Have you ever wondered how doctors spend their time? While being a doctor is a noble calling, it would not leave you with much free time with the profession taking up most of your waking hours. However, doctors are people too and enjoy the same leisurely activities like anyone else.

today.mims.com

23 Jul 2016 - General

On my free time, I sleep. Like if someone asks me, "Go ahead, have a break. Take a vacation and enjoy yourself." Believe me I'd be in bed for 3 days straight, except when I have to do an early morning run, eat, go to the restroom or if standing or getting away from bed is of extreme necessity. I rarely go out even when my friends invite me or even when I have all the means to do so.

I value my me time so much, it's actually ridiculous. Being in our line of profession,...
 (Total 141 words)
Most of my free time is spent in taking care of my kids,their homework and their extracurricular activities. I have probably reached that age where engagements in family and professional life leave you very little time for yourself. I do steal some time for myself when I watch a movie or read a book.
It is important to unwind in some way because our profession is so demanding and stressful. I do take 1 or 2 family vacations every year each not lasting more than 7 to 8 days. One important f...
 (Total 212 words)
There's just too little time to do too many things. I multitask like crazy during the weekdays so that during my off days on weekends I get to relax and chill. Sometimes watch movie, singing, reading, spend time with family, indulge in fine dining, take nice naps or even take time off to travel. But I do sometimes use my free time to enrich myself and write research papers too. I guess we should just make full use of the time we have to do the things we truly enjoy. Even if someone lazes at ...
 (Total 112 words)
@Marinelle: @Jennifer: @Maria: You doctors have very different interesting answers! Hehe I would certainly agree with Dr. Winters, imagine how lucky our friends from other countries. Imagine how their company pay for the plane tickets, uhhrr! Makes me jelous. For us nurses we have 15 days of paid vacation leave but of course don't expect if how much would that be. Couldn't buy you either a descent plane ticket, if you know what I mean. Hehe @Marinelle: Daydreaming of solo trips are also ...
 (Total 133 words)
I'm a multitasker--my mind cannot rest, I feel guilty, so I'm never not doing anything (except when I'm sleeping). Anyway, on my free time I love to write, read, color, go to the gym, catch-up with friends for a drink, watch movies and television series and I used to heavily play Clash of Clans, but I have stopped since April. I am a fairly organized person--I think most multitaskers are, so I have schedules for almost everything, even errands. My assistant helps me a lot with the er...
 (Total 202 words)
Running either leisurely around a track or competitively, spending time with my dogs, reading non-medical books, watching movies or tv series, craft work, time out with friends and sleep. I get really cranky when I lack sleep so if I get the chance to sleep I sleep. There are people who get cranky if they skip a meal I go beast mode (which is crammed up inside behind that wonderful pasted on smile of mine when I see patients) when I am sleepy. Our situation here in the Philippines is the reason ...
 (Total 189 words)
Hi Priscilla, before I took a leave, my time off from work is very limited. Within the hospital, when I don't have patients to attend to, I go to a nearby coffeeshop to spend sometime alone. I spend meal breaks with colleagues who later on became friends. On weekends if I have extra time, I do watercolor painting or create compositions. I also listen to classical and jazz in my free time. These days since I am on leave, I'm able to do HIIT exercises 5-6x a week. I catch up on watching mo...
 (Total 121 words)
Gaming! I play a lot of computer games and I love it. I get to go home 2-3 days a week and when I do, I'm driving home to sit at my computer and continue from where I stopped last. :) It's very rarely that we do get leave for more than a week at a stretch. In short 2-3 day vacations, I go on mini trips and sightseeing with my family or friends. If I get a couple of hours off in a working day, I go out with my girlfriend or friends and eat. And there's a library of movies and TV serie...
 (Total 119 words)
When I am free i will go jogging. I usually jog 3km over other day. Keep my wife company, go shopping with her or have a nice meal. Other times I will be reading lots of book, journal articles and online news. I usually finish one book every 2 weeks to a month. Sometimes I will watch a movie or drama at home. Life is busy and it usually revolves around work and my wife. Hopefully I can have a kid soon so that our life will be more vibrant. I will go on short trips 3 times a year and a long trip ...
 (Total 139 words)
For all the doctors in this community, what do you usually do in your free time?

I know most the doctors have their straight duty hours for 36-72 hours. How do you cope up with such stress and where do you insert time to rest? I am a little bit curious if the activities taken up by each practioner differ from the country of origin/culture. Do you also have vacation leaves, for how long? Is it also the same with those in Germany and Italy that their vacation leaves are paid as much twice...
 (Total 148 words)