General
Rise in cardiovascular disease in Vietnamese youths

Rise in cardiovascular disease in Vietnamese youths

Shared by:

There has been a surprising increase in the number of young people suffering from cardiovascular diseases in Vietnam, Vietnam News Agency (VNA) reported. Cardiovascular diseases include many problems, most of which are related to atherosclerosis - a condition that develops when a substance known as plaque builds up on the walls of arteries and blood vessels.

today.mims.com

23 Jul 2016 - General

I think a good way to address this is to promote healthy lifestyles in schools. The selection of food within the school cafeteria should be limited to nutritious food. I agree with everyone who said that fast food should be kept to a minimum. I wonder who has seen the documentary, "Super Size Me". It's one of the best health-related documentaries that I've ever seen. It made me sick of eating McDonald's. I think this documentary should be shown in schools to educate the you...
 (Total 131 words)
Yes, this is so alarming and true not only for Vietnam. I have acquaintances that passed away from a heart attack at a very young age. A colleague of mine, quite young in his lat thirties, is still on therapy after suffering stroke last December. And finally, I have friends who are already taking maintenance meds for hypertension. It is really alarming because it didn't used to be this way, but Ziwei is right, the rising income and the sedentary lifestyles of the world's working class gi...
 (Total 117 words)
Increase in the incidence of cardiovascular disease in young otherwise healthy individuals is a major problem in my country too. I have seen a couple of patients who were in their twenties that had to undergo coronary interventions due to ischemic heart disease. What's worrying is, we do not generally suspect a cardiac pathology in young adults when they present with chest discomfort. Of course, in an elderly with multiple risk factors, heart disease is in the top of our differential diagnos...
 (Total 127 words)
We see younger and younger people contracting acute myocardial infarction and an increasing number of PCI and much more complex cases of CABG nowadays. Who is to be blamed? The government ? The affluent lifestyle? The education system? Or the person himself? Such is the biggest question in public health- how to do primary prevention for ischemic heart disease. Based on the Framingham studies, we already know the risk factors for cardiovascular disease are obesity, smoking, diabetes, hypertension...
 (Total 94 words)
This problem is not just confined to Vietnam but is actually a global issue. Being involved in cardiovascular field and as a smoking cessation counsellor, we do see more and more people contracting cardiovascular disease. I agree we should ban tobacco, implement a restriction on unhealthy food and also to install programs in occupation settings for healthy living but this can be difficult as the bulk of the discipline lies in the person. If the person has no discipline then no matter what kinda ...
 (Total 119 words)
Cardiovascular disease is on the rise in Vietnam. I doubt no one will be surprised. Scourge of rising income and sedentary lifestyle as the country modernize. With changing diet habit, reduced exercise and tobacco smoking, we get obesity, hyperlipidemia, diabetes mellitus and eventually cardiovascular diseases. What can be done to help the rise in trend in developing countries. Who do we blame? Western culture of fast food? Tobacco company? How do we stop the next wave of cardiovascular disease?...
 (Total 109 words)