General
It Took Scientists 125 Years to Really See What This Van Gogh Painting Really Is, And It's AWESOME!

It Took Scientists 125 Years to Really See What This Van Gogh Painting Really Is, And It's AWESOME!

Shared by:

In 1889 Vincent van Gogh painted The Starry Night from the window of his asylum room, just before sunrise. For many years, millions of people have looked at it in awe and admiration, but not really seeing what scientists today just discovered.

m.atchuup.com

24 Jul 2016 - General

@ Maria.Thanks for the compliment. I cannot agree more with your first point.I went to the Louvre in 2012 and 2015. i cannot even catch a good glimpse of Mona Lisa both instances as you have to squeeze through a throng of tourists to catch a quick snap of the painting. But the other painting, tapestry and mural are out of the world. Thanks for explaining the marvel of Starry night to me. Will take a closer look and examine next time. It gives me a very "dark"and öminous feel"...
 (Total 104 words)
@Theekshana: My fascination for painting is just that I enjoy it. I feel have some talent but not enough. I believe Marinelle and Maria are more on that track. I mean look at what Marinelle can contribute to this topic. "Color deconstruction"- I would have to google that. :) I have done my share of painting but nothing exciting. I am more inclined to write. I shall write on the side so watch out for my books one day ;) I am claiming this! @Maria: The Monalisa is overrated really. Thoug...
 (Total 147 words)
You're cute Ziwei--paintbrush for vandalism. For me starry starry night is very relaxing to look at--almost hypnotizing. The use of colors and lines make it almost abstract, but it isn't because you see the sky, the moon. It's like a psychedelic picture or a vision in dream state. That's how I see it. I don't like all art... Starry starry night, has always been one of those that I liked.

P.S. I do not like the Monalisa. When I was in Louvre in 1998 people were flock...
 (Total 123 words)
I am not an art person and I will not pretend to be one. Can someone please tell me what is so fascinating about starry night? I grew up with a soccer ball and a football. Paint brush was for vandalism. I failed my Arts examination at 14 and had never touch a paint brush. When I was doing psychiatry, all the psychiatrist lecturers will show the painting "The Scream"by Edvard Munch. I still do not understand the fascination. I understand it reflects what is going on in the artist head. ...
 (Total 124 words)
I'm not even close to being an artist. The last time I have studied arts is in 6th grade, and apart from the sketches you draw in the back of the book when you're bored at class, I cannot paint. :D But I do appreciate arts very much. The science behind the drawing, 'the starry night' by Van Gogh is fascinating. Made me want to study more about Van Gogh's paintings. @Jeniffer If you love painting and you have the talent, you should definitely go where your heart takes you. Th...
 (Total 106 words)
Van Gogh's works are really unique. It must have been difficult for him if that is how he perceived the world when he's having a bipolar episode. I also paint and I tried mimicking his strokes. It's quite difficult because you have to be able to deconstruct images not using light, but through color. I'm a watercolor artist and I'm not used to color deconstruction. From what I know there's this movie that's supposed to be released this year. Its entitled, "Loving ...
 (Total 110 words)
I am not an artist myself, but I really love Van Gogh’s art works. Really astonish with all his works, and his story. I was fortunate enough to be musée d'Orsay, Paris recently in March, and glad to able to appreciate some of the Van Gogh paintings. It was postulated that possibly during the seeds of his psychotic (bipolar/depression) breakdown were present when Van Gogh painted “The Starry Night”. It was painted during the day in ground floor studio, possibly from the memory, from th...
 (Total 104 words)
I love that painting as well! I have a shirt with Starry Night on it and I just wore it last night haha. Coincidence. That is truly amazing about how he was able to depict turbulence in his paintings. The comparison of his work when he had "psychotic breaks" and when he was well is quite interesting. For most artists their work is best when they are depressed as they seem to dig deeper into their souls. Seeing as Van Gogh's work is not only better during the times he was unwell but...
 (Total 205 words)
I've always liked Van Gogh's Starry Starry Night. I am a frustrated artist. I used to sketch when I was in high school, but I abandoned that altogether. Now I'm into adult coloring books and I love it, but I will never be a Van Gogh.

Anyway, I've always been fascinated with Van Gogh's work and his style. When we lived in the UK, his house was walking distance from my school, and I once took my sisters there before, on our walk back home. It was small and quaint, but...
 (Total 175 words)