General

ADHD: Pathological or Cultural?

Created by:

24 Jul 2016 - General

Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder is a common psychiatric disorder seen in children, especially in the Western world. Children diagnosed with this disorder exhibit developmentally inappropriate inattention, impulsive behavior and restlessness. It appears to have a complex etiology that remains to be defined. It appears to have a neurobiologic basis because imaging studies done on children affected with this disease show that they have smaller brains and reduced white matter tract density. Anatomic areas seem that have structural changes are the basal ganglia, the prefrontal cortex and the cerebellum. However, because this disease is more common among Westerners, some scientists argue that this disease s most likely a cultural disease rather than a pathologic one. What is the incidence of ADHD in your setting? Do you think ADHD is a pathological condition or is it a culturally created behavior?

I think ADHD is a pathological condition and not cultrually created. It is probably a disorder attributable to prenatal evens, post partum events as well as developmental process. The contribution of each factor probably depends on the kind of ADHD.
For primary ADHD. this is the child who has had a history of antenatal or perinatal difficulties, feeding and sleeping problems, occasionally early motor milestones with or without evidence of other neurological maturation delay, and early onset ...
 (Total 312 words)
I'm with Jenifer on this one. Attention deficit hyperactive disorder is really a pathological disorder with a complex aetiology that is still not well understood. But in today's society many patients, mostly kids, who are considered as having attention deficit hyperactive disorder are not really having a mental disorder. It's just that the public are more aware of the condition, and when they see a child that is overactive, the child get labeled as having ADHD. Normal behavior is a s...
 (Total 103 words)
I think Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is indeed a pathological condition rather than the cultural related. ADHD has 2 main symptoms which are hyperactivity/impulsivity and inattention. To meet the diagnosis criteria, the core symptoms must impair function in academic, social or occupational activities. Diagnosis of ADHD is defined by Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorder Fifth Edition (DSM-5). The example of hyperactivity and impulsivity includes interruption of ...
 (Total 142 words)
I think it is both. I also think that it is overly diagnosed. I am not the one who thinks that there is no such thing as ADHD, for there is, but it seems like nowadays that if is a child is overly hyper they are immediately diagnosed with ADHD. I had this conversation before where I was told that their nephew had ADHD and I commented, "maybe he just hyper" and another turned to me, "that is what ADHD is? I thought you were a doctor?" A little below the belt there with the com...
 (Total 108 words)