General

Are we ready for Molecular Pathology?

Created by:

24 Jul 2016 - General

Last year, I had the opportunity to attend the ASNO (Asian Society for Neuro-oncology) Conference. One of the notable highlights of the conference was the evolution of pathologic diagnosis. Gone are the days when pathologists solely rely on microscopic changes seen on a specimen. In the recent years, there have been significant advancements in utilization of biomarkers such as hormonal markers and molecular markers. Because of these advancements, the World Health Organization criteria for pathological diagnosis on tumors will be revised. It was reported that based on concensus, these criteria will now include molecular markers to define tumor grading and classification. Although testing for molecular markers is still not mandatory, once WHO criteria is revised, most doctors will have this done on a regular basis to prognosticate and identify tumor grading/classification. Of course there markers come with a price. In the Philippine setting, a lot of people would not be able to afford this and I am uncertain if the country's healthcare set-up is ready to catch up with these advances. Is your healthcare system ready for these changes?  

Our government healthcare system has a very slow development when it comes to integration of advanced and up to date medical technology to the health system. That's partly due to the limited affordability and availability of such technology, but irrational decisions and judgment of the officials in higher seats of the healthcare sector has a role to play in that as well. So the new advancements in molecular pathology will take a while to start making difference in the diagnosis of diseases i...
 (Total 111 words)
Thank you for the update Marinelle! As great as that sounds about the importance of biomarkers in tumor identification, for we know that will give us more specific results, I do hope that WHO will consider the plight of developing countries in this. Though yes they are updating their criteria it doesn't necessarily mean that the older criteria is not reliable anymore. It will make us somewhat obsolete but seeing as the basics is the still the foundation of proper diagnosis I think we will be...
 (Total 87 words)