General
You Look Too Young To Be A Doctor

You Look Too Young To Be A Doctor

Shared by:

There you are in your slacks and crisply ironed shirt donned with your immaculate white coat. You have your stethoscope hanging around your neck, a medical chart in one arm and with the other hand you open the curtains to see your patient. You verify the patient’s identity and then go on to introduce yourself as doctor so and so. Before you get to ask the patient about their case, they stop you by saying, “You look too young to be a doctor."

today.mims.com

25 Jul 2016 - General

@Ziwei. Exactly what I mean about age, technology and knowledge change and I feel that unless the older professional takes time to cope with this, they are often left behind. And yes, dexterity is an issue. I have patients who tell me they've decided to move from their old dentist because he's gotten really slow. Anyway, yes about feeling good when asked if you're still young. One time a patient was looking at my diploma and he goes, "Doc I thought you were just 24 or something&...
 (Total 238 words)
This is based on a true story. Few years ago, I once go into to resuscitation room in emergency department to attend a sick confuse patient, and there were a few medical students around in emergency department, I was immediately stopped by the nurse in-charged, told me that patient was too sick to be seen and examined by a medical student, and ask me to go away. Haha, I was so shock and confused for a second. And I gently, delightfully and confidentially told him that I am the medical SpR on-cal...
 (Total 115 words)
First impressions are important. Our patients can come in however they want but we need to look the part. We don't need to dress in signature clothing with all the bling blings but we need to look presentable. Though genetics will always get the best of us as some stay young looking for a really long time we have to understand our patients. There is that feeling when the doctor is young they are inexperienced, they don't know what they are doing or they are there to practice on you. We j...
 (Total 149 words)
Years ago i get offended when patient told me that. Nowadays I am have butterflies fluttering in my tummy when patient says that. When patient tells me " you look too young to be a doctor, I will instantly say "Thank you, it is really nice of you. I am glad to hear that nowadays". They will usually smile and get what I mean. I agree age probably does not translate to a better outcome in management. Knowledge, guideline and technology change. The golden age for a doctor will be aro...
 (Total 131 words)

Not so much nowadays, because I've been in practice for a while (10 years) but from time to time I still get patients asking me how old I am--and not to flatter (although it is nice when they do) but to express doubt in my capacity to address their needs. A few years ago I was asked, "How long have you been a dentist? You look young." And when I said, "Oh I'm old enough. I'm already 32." They suddenly feel relieved and say, "I thought you're in ...
 (Total 216 words)