General
Working long hours damages brain function

Working long hours damages brain function

Shared by:

A group of researchers from the University of Melbourne in Australia, and Keio University in Japan suggests that working for more than 30 hours a week may negatively impact brain function in individuals aged 40 and above.

today.mims.com

28 Jul 2016 - General

Although the article did not discuss the mechanism why people who work longer hours have decreased brain function, I do not agree with this from the neurologic standpoint. According to the theory of neuroplasticity, the more you use your brain, the more connections you form, the more efficient it works. In fact, the brain is capable of making a vast network of connections, if we will use it. This is the reason why memory function improves when we practice memorizing. I cannot think of a reason w...
 (Total 138 words)
Yes, it is not possible unless you are the owner of the company and you are the boss !!! The concept of 30 hours working week is seems like the stars in the sky, that is unreachable. In Europe, the European Time Working Directive (EWTD) has stated a maximum 48 hour working week, but such a regulation is not even feasible to comply with, then how about a 30 hours working week ?!Working long hours, especially in healthcare sector is always a known fact. I would suggest that some strategy should be...
 (Total 117 words)

Working more than 30 hours a week may negatively impact the brain function in individuals aged 40 years old and above !!!! Is that serious??? As I believe that most of the healthcare professionals will need to work way more than 30 hours a week !!! Is interesting that the study showed “ working 25 to 30 hours weekly can maximize cognitive skills, less or more than that can results in decline in cognitive skills”, and also “those who work for 50 – 60 hours a week (would be normal working ho...
 (Total 147 words)