General

Internship Experience

Created by:

28 Jul 2016 - General

I would say all of us here have been through the lovely period of being an intern. Everyone are looking forwads to start their internship after years of intense education in medical school. But, most people will realise that the real life is not all about the knowdege that we gained from medical school. I would say we will be terrifying in insertion of our very first intravenous cannula, urinary catheter, pulling out a central line, attending a very sick or peri-arrest patient or a cardiac arrest call, our first arterial blood gas (ABG), and etc. Do you think most of the medical schools have well prepared us to face the real challenges in hospital setling ?? Any intersting internship experience to share ??? Is it the same experience for the other healthcare professionals ??

Internship is the vertical learning curve for the enthusiastic medical student to become a real doctor. “You see one, you do one, and then you will teach one”, it is as simple as that !!! There are a lot of new things to learn and to master daily for the new intern. A supportive team of senior doctor will be very important to ensure that there is a smooth transition and learning process among the interns. A mix of on-going teaching, close supervision, and correction of mistakes from senior docto...
 (Total 98 words)
I learned a lot during my internship. Basically, I was able to hone the skills that I learned during medical clerkship. I took my internship in one of the competitive private institutions in Manila. It made me appreciate the difference of medical practice between a training and government institution and a private institution. During my internship, I was exposed to the ideal hospital set-up wherein the equipment is top-rate, everything is more organized and there's (almost) adequate hospital...
 (Total 120 words)
@You Yi Hong: It seems like I should be very glad that I was able to have those experiences before diving into the deep end. Though don't get me wrong, clerkship or junior internship was definitely difficult. I felt although that having a clerkship/junior internship group with members who are very supportive of each other work wise and emotionally made that year go by much smoother. Senior internship did go by better as we went through a whole lot during our junior internship year. We had ro...
 (Total 165 words)
@ Jennifer Winter, seem like you have a great real life experience prior to starting your internship. That’s great as it prepared you well for the real challenges. I would say not a lot of people will get the type of training you have before internship. I did shared similar experience with @ Ziwei Xie, having horrific first 2 weeks of being a surgical internship. I did remember I was so delighted to be able to insert my first intravenous cannulation, but was taken aback after as I can’t locate t...
 (Total 132 words)
Housemanship was a total nightmare. My first call, I was told to see a lady who has severe suprapubic pain after a bowel surgery ( I cannot remember what was the surgery ). However, the nurse told me it is common after the surgery to have suprapubic pain. She told me to order a dose of pethidine for the patient over the phone. I did as I was told as I was inundated by phone calls, blood sampling request, hospital admission etc. I was admonished the next morning by the registrar who told me the p...
 (Total 141 words)
I personally didn't experience that immense war shock feeling as much as others in my batch as my pre-med course was Nursing. In medical school we would have opportunities to interview patients in the hospital, either in-patients or out-patients, to get a better feel of what it was like. For procedures, we had return demonstrations on dummies and right before entering the hospital we got training from senior interns on IV insertion by trying it out on each other. That was just horrible. Anot...
 (Total 160 words)