General

Here's What Actually Happens To Your Body When You Drink a Coke

Created by:

28 Jul 2016 - General

We already know that Coca-Cola—and virtually every other soda—is loaded with sugar. (We also know that Coke does crazy things when mixed with liquid nitrogen.) But have you ever wondered exactly what it's doing to our bodies? According to The Daily Mail, a new infographic has the answers—and it's more than a little distressing.

The diagram, created by The Renegade Pharmacist, illustrates your body on the inside the first hour after you drink a can of Coke, in five- and ten-minute intervals. In just the first ten minutes, your body uses phosphoric acid to cut the sweetness of 10 teaspoons of sugar—your recommended intake for the entire day. Ten minutes after that your blood sugar spikes, which causes an insulin burst. ​​

After just 45 minutes, the caffeine absorption completes and your eyes dilate, blood pressure rises, and adenosine receptors in your brain are blocked, preventing drowsiness. Plus, dopamine production goes into hyperdrive—much like when someone takes heroin. 

But by minute 60, the caffeine will force you to make a bathroom run—so you'll lose any of the calcium, magnesium, zinc, sodium, electrolytes, and water that you were about to absorb. Damn. After that, it's, Hello, giant sugar crash

At that point, it's up to you whether you chose to pop open another can and start the process all over again.

I don't drink soda, but I sip from a cup for the taste sometimes. But as for drinking an entire can or glass, I've abandoned that habit for a while. My family is a heavy Coke drinker, but my mom has recently stopped and it was because she saw that video Jennifer was talking about---of Coke being used as a toilet cleanser. She said, "Wow, I don't want to put that in my body anymore!" So far she's been very true to her decision and I'm glad, but I have 2 more sisters ...
 (Total 173 words)
I don't drink soda, but I sip from a cup for the taste sometimes. But as for drinking an entire can or glass, I've abandoned that habit for a while. My family is a heavy Coke drinker, but my mom has recently stopped and it was because she saw that video Jennifer was talking about---of Coke being used as a toilet cleanser. She said, "Wow, I don't want to put that in my body anymore!" So far she's been very true to her decision and I'm glad, but I have 2 more sisters ...
 (Total 173 words)
I think there is no doubt that cook is harmful. It has a high content of sodium and simple sugar. Bad for blood pressure, obesity, glucose metabolism etc. The part about caffeine is probably blown out of proportion. Compared to tea or coffee, coke has a lower content of caffeine.It should not even be compared to heroin. Problem with heroin is the psychological effect,cardiological effect, withdrawal, addiction and social consequence. Coke is unhealthy but this article is totally ludicrous. It is...
 (Total 121 words)
Well, the fact that Coke can already damage your stomach and can cause sugar high and is caffeinated had already raised a lot of red flags for me. The best thing to do is to avoid drinking coke in the first place, to avoid popping open one after another.

I don't like the feeling that coke gives me when I burp out all that gas, it bloats your stomach and may damage the linings of your stomach. I don't get why a lot of people still orders a coke or craves for a coke to go along wi...
 (Total 116 words)
Coke really isn't good for you. I have seen demonstrations before where they would use Coke to clean toilets and it did as great as a job as any regular toilet cleaner. Despite teaching the public on how unhealthy, on how bad this product is for them the power of advertisement is spectacular to the point of being horrendous. Coke has come out with Coke Light, Coke Zero and I even saw Coke with Stevia. They are trying to make it "healthy" but the bottom line is it's never going ...
 (Total 101 words)