General
Cockroach milk - The latest superfood

Cockroach milk - The latest superfood

Shared by:

Invaders of kitchens and tenants of sewages, cockroaches are largely associated with feelings of disgust and filth, not to mention eliciting screams and shrieks from us cowardly human beings when they spread their wings and fly. However, they seem all set to produce the next superfood hitting the shelves - cockroach milk.

today.mims.com

28 Jul 2016 - General

Oh my I've read about this a few days ago and I immediately pictured the "flying cockroaches", the scariest of their kind, and I said--maybe not. I know they're not going to extract it in front of me, but if I know, I simply cannot. I always say, I will be very good at Fear Factor, Amazing Race and Survivor for the "physical activities", but you cannot make me eat anything gross. Haha. So, nutritious or not, there are other superfood sources in the world. I'll jus...
 (Total 127 words)
There are some parts of the world where people deep fry cockroaches for food. However, do note that cockroaches does carry bacterial like shigella and salmonella on them and if you consume them there may be a chance you may end up with a bad gastroenteritis. Furthermore, there is a significant portion of people who are allergic to cockroaches, hence I would advice people to only try if they are willing to bear the consequence. In my opinion I would try things like silkworms and grasshoppers, but...
 (Total 108 words)
Pacific beetle cockroach -- the protein-rich crystals that the insects lactate to feed their young -- could make for the next great superfood! Now, maybe I will think twice before squashing that pesky cockroach in my apartment. Interestingly this particular species of cockroach is the only one that gives birth to live young, as opposed to laying eggs. Their "milk" is made up of protein-infused crystals reported to have three times the energy of the equivalent mass of normal dairy milk!...
 (Total 137 words)
It is interesting to know that cockroach milk can be a healthy superfood, and evn eating cockroaches as a whole is good for health !!! The cockroach milk contains milk-protein crystal that contains great source of nutrition and calories. It has all the essential amino acids, fast and sugar, with the unique feature of digestion of protein at a constant rate. Scientists have obtained the gene sequences for the milk protein and try to reproduce it using yeast system. It is indeed quite surprising t...
 (Total 106 words)
@Virgilio - Ooh, I think I missed that part on how the roach proteins are grown. Now that you mention it, its quite better to think that these proteins are grown in a "yeast" system. It sort of decrease the “gross” factor a bit. This way, I guess it would be easier to produce the proteins for mass consumption and commercial use. Also, you won’t need to worry that you have a stray cockroach leg (or other body part) in there somewhere, haha. And for those who would want the benefits of t...
 (Total 104 words)
@Jennifer - Interesting questions! And yes, possibly, cockroach farms would be easier to run and be less expensive (though the thought of having THAT many cockroaches in one place gives me a very unwanted reaction, hehe). Probably people have to be trained to propagate and milk the cockroaches, which can be done through government or NGO projects. Maybe in the future, such a superfood can be made commercially available when a lot of countries have accepted that such a compound is valuable. The m...
 (Total 133 words)
Truly amazing indeed. Though my first reaction when I saw the title and especially when I saw the picture was "Ewwww." Sometimes you just don't need to know where everything you consume comes from. Fascinating how something so small can produce that much protein. I briefly read through the research output and found this statement: "A single midgut crystal of Lili-Mip accounts for approximately 3.7 × 10−5 J and corresponds to more than three times the energy provided by th...
 (Total 157 words)
It’s amazing how much research can discover; no one would have thought that a cockroach could produce milk, with this particular substance being more nutritious than cow’s milk. It’s also a great discovery that such a compound can be a source for excellent protein supplements, especially if this substance is way better than existing protein sources.
The fact, however, that we should consume something from a cockroach, may be quite difficult to consider for many, especially because cockroach...
 (Total 115 words)