General
BMI controversy: “Overweight” might be the healthiest weight

BMI controversy: “Overweight” might be the healthiest weight

Shared by:

Through time, The Body Mass Index (BMI) has proven to be an invaluable tool in assessing health despite its simplicity. It is now used as the primary health screening instrument, and many people today are obsessed with achieving the ideal BMI. The idea that having an optimal BMI is equivalent to good health is something that has been ingrained into our mind.

today.mims.com

28 Jul 2016 - General

When I read the title of this article "BMI controversy: “Overweight” might be the healthiest weight" I was very adamant to find the evidence in the article that supported this title. I remember us discussing before on how BMI is not an accurate indicator but it serves as a guide. There are many factors, as we know, that would deem a person as healthy or unhealthy but BMI is there to help us figure out if the person has a healthy weight or not. I think it helps especially for people who...
 (Total 258 words)
I remember reading this in the past, and it makes more sense to me too. Also, there is this study by WHO that states "Asians generally have a higher percentage of body fat than white people of the same age, sex, and BMI." (http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/bmi_asia_strategies.pdf ) Therefore, the risk for lifestyle-related diseases brought about by increased body fat such as Type 2 diabetes and CVD diseases are increased even in those who are below 25 kg/m2. Although it is stil...
 (Total 102 words)
The BMI isn't a good indicator of health and shouldn't be used as one, considering that it doesn't differentiate between muscle and fat percentages. Weight alone isn't completely accurate either. A recent viral post from a fitness blogger (http://www.scarymommy.com/kelsey-wells-instagram-proves-scale-doesnt-matter/) goes to depicted that pretty well. Like what Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan said, yo...
 (Total 68 words)
I read the title and wished it was "BMI controversy: “Underweight” might be the healthiest weight" :D I have been having a silent struggle to get the numbers in my BMI above 17, but it has never been a success. Revising the BMI ranges might be the only way I can have a healthy BMI :D Body Mass Index has been a good screening tool of health mainly because its calculation and interpretation is pretty simple and straightforward, and fairly accurately reflected the body mass compared to th...
 (Total 135 words)
Anyone knows in this study, when was the body mass index measured. I am just curious as the time line is important. Hen we correlates BMI to health, we are trying to asceratain the risk of cardiovascular accident in 10 year time and not risk of mortality. If the body mass index is measured at the time of mortality, the person could have lost a lot of weight as a result of the disease process over the years. If the body mass index is measured 20 to 30 years before mortality,then it may be prove t...
 (Total 183 words)
@Virgilio - Measuring the waist circumference can also help, as it is a very simple method and is easy to do, and certain sources have shown that a larger waist circumference is a predictor of cardiovascular disease risk, mainly because most of the unhealthy body fat accumulates at this area. Maybe doing both BMI and waist circumference could help. Some studies show that waist circumference was able to predict disease and mortality as well as BMI, though some cases also show that waist circumfer...
 (Total 128 words)
@Vincent - Now that you mention it, I think body fat percentage is also a good predictor. Certain studies have been done to prove that fat percentage may possibly be a better predictor for disease, especially because BMI does not distinguish fat from muscle, and may just be a rough estimate of the amount of fat in the body. Though body fat percentage requires more calulation than BMI (which only needs the height and weight), it is relatively simple to measure as there are calculators that only ...
 (Total 120 words)
It’s not entirely surprising that the BMI measurement is not always accurate in predicting a person’s health. This news, however, that “overweight is the new normal” still makes me skeptical. I think maintaining a healthy weight is still best, and overindulging in junk and fatty foods is a no-no. The article still considers that other factors (such as race for us Asians) should be taken into account when using the BMI. Though the BMI shouldn’t be totally scrapped and may still be useful, I think...
 (Total 156 words)