General
Sleep deficiency carries long-term risk of emotional disorders

Sleep deficiency carries long-term risk of emotional disorders

Shared by:

Sleep appears to have an impact on psychological health of children, with short sleepers having an increased risk of having emotional disorders later in life.

today.mims.com

28 Jul 2016 - General

Sleep helps the brain to relax while working to repair body in case of damage and prepares the body for the forthcoming events. Sleep deprivation leaves the brain exhausted and tired which results in reduced concentration and impairs work performance. It reduces the decision-making ability thereby increasing confusion. Lack of concentration causes lack of ability in creative activities and failure in certain tasks causes emotional disturbances. It causes anger and irritability. So, if you want t...
 (Total 90 words)
I think this is very relevant and timely research, especially since I had observed many of my younger cousins (while visiting their homes) tend to sleep at much later times than I and my siblings did back when we were at their age.

Sleep deprivation is definitely bad, and for years, the research has focused on its effects on adults, so this is very relevant especially since there are far more distractions now before sleeping (i.e., gadgets) than ever before, and there would most likely ...
 (Total 127 words)
The National Institute of Health gives an operational definition of sleep deprivation vs. sleep deficiency. Sleep deprivation is a condition that occurs if you don't get enough sleep. On the other hand, sleep deficiency is a broader concept. It occurs if you are sleep deprived, sleep at the wrong time of day, do not sleep well, or have a sleep disorder. Since sleep is optimal to maintain physiologic functions, it can adversely affect emotions. In fact, there is evidence that patients with in...
 (Total 136 words)
Clinical studies in humans have shown that sleep deprivation, can affect different biological pathways, such as cardiovascular autonomic control, inflammation, immunity responses and metabolism. All these alterations may predispose subjects with sleep deprivation to an increased cardiovascular risk. Hence, it is fundamental to identify the presence of a sleep disorder, which could be per se responsible for sleep loss, or the presence of sleep deprivation due to other factors, such as social lif...
 (Total 115 words)
In the short term, a lack of adequate sleep can affect judgment, mood, ability to learn and retain information, and may increase the risk of serious accidents and injury. In the long term, chronic sleep deprivation may lead to a host of health problems including obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and even early mortality. Experiencing inadequate sleep can eventually lead to depression, anxiety and other types of emotional problems. Parents, therefore, need to think about sleep as an esse...
 (Total 117 words)
In the short term, a lack of adequate sleep can affect judgment, mood, ability to learn and retain information, and may increase the risk of serious accidents and injury. In the long term, chronic sleep deprivation may lead to a host of health problems including obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and even early mortality. Experiencing inadequate sleep can eventually lead to depression, anxiety and other types of emotional problems. Parents, therefore, need to think about sleep as an esse...
 (Total 117 words)