General
Childhood Asthma Management Made Easy for GPs

Childhood Asthma Management Made Easy for GPs

Shared by:

Acute asthmatic attacks among children are some of the most common medical scenarios encountered by healthcare professionals. There are still disputes among clinicians regarding the initial labelling of a child with asthma

today.mims.com

28 Jul 2016 - General

This! I was just recently being diagnosed to have asthma and until now I just couldn't accept the fact being diagnosed of having one. I have to agree with everything stated in the article ways to ease out having the symptoms and improve our quality of life. But one of the most helpful would be avoidance of exposure to allergens that could trigger frequent bronchial inflammation. Prevention is way out better than cure. Avoid crowded places, dusts and maybe we can never avoid nowadays our majo...
 (Total 134 words)
If your child’s having symptoms, don’t wait for their asthma review book an appointment for your child straight away. Your child’s asthma action plan will help you decide when this is necessary, but if there’s ever anything about your child’s asthma that’s worrying you, trust your instincts and book them in to see their GP or asthma nurse. It’s also a good idea to book an appointment at key times, like the start of a new school term or before you’re going on holiday, to talk through your child’...
 (Total 96 words)
@Eileen. Features highly suggestive of a diagnosis of asthma include: 1) Frequent episodes of wheeze (more than once a month)
2) Activity-induced cough or wheeze 3) Nocturnal cough in periods without viral infections 4) Symptoms that persist after age 3. I usually use a therapeutic trial of medication first like a trial of treatment with short-acting bronchodilators and inhaled glucocorticosteroids for at least 8 to 12 weeks may provide some guidance as to the presence of asthma. These inte...
 (Total 179 words)
Making a diagnosis of asthma in children 5 years and younger may be difficult because episodic respiratory symptoms such as wheezing and cough are also common in children who do not have asthma, particularly in those younger than 3 years. Furthermore, it is not possible to routinely assess both airflow limitation and inflammation in this age group. Nevertheless, a diagnosis of asthma in young children can often be made based largely on symptom patterns and on a careful clinical assessment of fam...
 (Total 161 words)