General
Yogurt: Key to reducing high blood pressure

Yogurt: Key to reducing high blood pressure

Shared by:

Yogurt is highly nutritious and is low in calories. It is a good source of protein, calcium and potassium. It also provides various minerals and vitamins. Yogurt is also suitable for people with lactose intolerance as it contains lower amounts of lactose than milk. The lactose in yogurt is converted to lactic acid by the bacterial cultures.

today.mims.com

28 Jul 2016 - General

Yogurt is well known for its nutritious and cool nature. It has a variety of health benefits as it contains high animal proteins, vitamin, B12, B6, calcium, potassium, and magnesium. Yogurt helps boost the immune system as it contains probiotics (friendly bacteria) and also regulates the digestive system. One of the identified benefits of yogurt which is of clinical importance is lowering blood pressure levels. Various studies have reported that intake of low-fat or fat-free yogurt thrice a day...
 (Total 99 words)
Yes, thank you Marinelle for looking into the article and making this more comprehensive. Remember, the DASH includes three servings a day of low-fat and fat-free milk, yogurt and cheese. It is unfortunate to know though that it only works for middle aged women. Also, as professionals we need to be careful in advising our patients and the information we share to them, right? And with managing hypertension, I'm sure DASH on its own will not be able to manage hypertension, it comes along with...
 (Total 97 words)
@YouYi." Yogurt can help to regulate blood pressure by producing small chain fatty acids which will attach to Gp41, causing in lowering blood pressure. " Thanks for the biochemical part. I shall quote this when when patient start asking me into too much detail. It sounds so complex my patient will probably stop asking.@ Marinelle. Thanks for looking into the article from American Heart Association. It is good to know that Yogurt can have blood pressure lowering effect on middle aged wo...
 (Total 143 words)
I must admit that I was highly skeptic of the facts stated in the article because I cannot imagine how eating yogurt can directly prevent hypertension. The title and content were stated in a simplistic manner that made me decide to do some research. Based on the news article by American Heart Association, here are the conclusions of the study mentioned in the MIMS article: 1) Middle-aged women who (25-55 years old) ate five or more servings of yogurt per week, especially as part of a healthy die...
 (Total 197 words)
Yogurt is always known as a healthy food to be taken. It is low in calories, highly nutritious, rich in protein, calcium, potassium, and also minerals and vitamins. It is great to know that Yogurt is a key component of Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension. Consumption of yogurt is associated with less likelihood to develop hypertension. It was shown that the gut bacteria in Yogurt can help to regulate blood pressure by producing small chain fatty acids which will attach to Gp41, causing in lo...
 (Total 114 words)
Will you advise your hypertensive patient to start taking yogurt? In the DASH diet plan (Graudal et al, 1998; Appel et al, 1997), yogurt is one of the diet served to the participant. It is recommended to serve low fat dairy product 2-3 servings a day in the form of 1 cup of yogurt or 8 ounces of milk or 1.5 ounce of cheese. A combination DASH diet also consist of fruits, vegetables and low fat dairy products. It includes whole grains. Poultry, fish, and nuts, and is reduced in fats, red meats, ...
 (Total 104 words)