General

Should doctor marry doctors?

Created by:

28 Jul 2016 - General

Doctors spend a substantial amount of time with their colleagues. Generally speaking, almost all our outside relationships falter by the time we graduate from medical school because of the amount of time and effort our educational system requires. Although it is not impossible to maintain relationships outside the medical network, it is generally more difficult to maintain because it challenges our sense of priority. I've seen romantic relationships form during medical school all the way to residency. In fact, both my seatmates in medical school married each other during our clerkship. Most of my friends and acquaintances eventually end up marrying people from the same profession, or at least in the medical field. Do you think doctors should marry doctors? Have you experienced maintaining a relationship outside our web?

Thank you for those who engaged in the discussion. No Ziwei, I am not thinking of getting married anytime soon! I agree with most comments that there's no guarantee that relationships will work out better if you are in the same profession. Relationships are based on mutual understanding and respect. However, I just want to share that I never had a good experience with dating men outside the medical network. Basically, they don't understand my priorities and work schedule. I think dating ...
 (Total 146 words)
That is a good question. Marrying a fellow doctor has its advantages as you understand the difficulties of the profession, have common grounds to discuss about and like a few couples I know they can work in tandem i.e. anesthesiologist and surgeon. I think choosing a life partner depends more on mutual understanding. Even if he or she is not a medical professional as long as this person understands that the work is difficult a balance can be found. This really varies from case to case. I think a...
 (Total 130 words)
This really depends on the person. When a doctor marries a doctor or any other healthcare professionals, the advantage is that the other parties will be understanding to your busy worklife and will not be always blaming you for abandoning the family for work - eg. for a surgeon who needs to be called up in the middle of the night back to hospital to operate, or long hours night duties in the hospital in the ICU. But it really depends on the individuals. There are doctors who are married to non-m...
 (Total 116 words)

Good and bad, I think, but the same is true for couples from any profession. I know of friends who married fellow dentists--some worked well together (even having their own practice together) and some whose relationship/marriage failed. I think between two people, it's really just about love, respect and compatibility. It wont matter if you are both doctors or you work in different worlds. I think these things will matter when you start to build a family. If both are "busy" do...
 (Total 160 words)
The idea is the same as why accountants marry accountants, lawyers marry lawyers, etc. It's simply because mutual understanding makes relationships easier - less futile arguments, less hassle, etc especially if both parties are on the same level. You see, being in the medical field is not just about a job (this is especially the case for those truly dedicated to it). It's about helping people and taking part in medical advancement. Medicine ALWAYS evolves. New diseases emerge and some an...
 (Total 215 words)
Though ones profession is such a great factor in influencing a persons ability to be attracted to one another, it's not a criteria. Maybe for some it is, but mostly it's not. This may not be only applied to the doctors but also same with other professions. Say for my experience, there's quite difficulty in maintaining a relationship with someone who's not in line with our profession but I just don't consider it as a difficulty, but rather a challenge. However it's a plus ...
 (Total 153 words)
Though ones profession is such a great factor in influencing a persons ability to be attracted to one another, it's not a criteria. Maybe for some it is, but mostly it's not. This may not be only applied to the doctors but also same with other professions. Say for my experience, there's quite difficulty in maintaining a relationship with someone who's not in line with our profession but I just don't consider it as a difficulty, but rather a challenge. However it's a plus ...
 (Total 153 words)
@Dr Marinelle, you thinking for tying the knot ? I do not think this is an issue at all. If 2 person love each other, why not. It does not have to be about profession. I will have difficulty finding a mate if I am on a self imposed restrain from marrying a fellow doctor given the fact that i spent most of my life working with other doctors. However, I ended up marrying an accountant. I have seen my fellow colleagues marrying each other and they are having a lovely time with lots of kids. I feel ...
 (Total 137 words)
As a doctor who is about to be engaged to another doctor, my answer is "why should they not?" I've been with my fiancee since medical school all the way till now where we both are working in the same hospital. The life of a doctor is very different from a regular person's life. Unpredictable and long work hours, the emotional and physical stress we are in at times, sometimes a person from the outside world may find it quite difficult to understand that and adjust to our lifesty...
 (Total 104 words)
I know the first part of my comment may be off topic but I just want to brag about my high school friends and classmates. You've mentioned about your seat mates in medical school getting married, but my friends were classmates since kindergarten, guy had a crush on her since kindergarten and has never been in a relationship until the girl finished nursing school. The girl never had boyfriends but the guy had several relationships before her but still ended up together! Call that Destiny! :)...
 (Total 200 words)