General
Around the world in doctors' salaries

Around the world in doctors' salaries

Shared by:

After years of studying and training to become a physician and the hours spent to set up a practice, comes the question of compensation for all the hard work. Around the world, the amount of blood, sweat, and tears shed to make it as a physician is very similar, yet salaries are highly variable.

today.mims.com

29 Jul 2016 - General

Being a physician in a developing country is tough. Medical education is very expensive. Application for residency training is difficult, often politically-driven and highly competitive. Specialty training is time-consuming, stressful with incommensurate compensation. For those training in private hospitals, salaries are so low that it's only enough to pay for your daily fast-food meals. Because of this, a substantial proportion of medical graduates choose to forgo medical practice or reside...
 (Total 235 words)

Many of my foreigner patients say things like, "You should move to (US/Canada/Australia,etc) doctor. You will become really rich there". When I was in Dentistry school, there was a large population of American/Canadian students in my University and they all had one plan--to earn their degree in the Philippines, and to take the boards back home, so they could practice there (better ROI). Anyway, around 2000 it was announced that US would close by 2004 and I think Canada ...
 (Total 239 words)

Many of my foreigner patients say things like, "You should move to (US/Canada/Australia,etc) doctor. You will become really rich there". When I was in Dentistry school, there was a large population of American/Canadian students in my University and they all had one plan--to earn their degree in the Philippines, and to take the boards back home, so they could practice there (better ROI). Anyway, around 2000 it was announced that US would close by 2004 and I think Canada ...
 (Total 239 words)
The single most important determine of physician salary is specialty and subspecialty. The search tool above allows you to find average salaries by specialty and geographical region, correcting for a substantial difference in pay across regions.
The effect of geographical region can have surprising effects on a doctor's salary. One might expect the highest salaries would be in the northeast or west, where cost of living is highest, but this is not always the case. In fact, the salary fo...
 (Total 127 words)
"Personal fulfilment and satisfaction are important in order to truly feel contentment, but the old saying still holds water in that, “money makes the world go round.""- Oh so true. Let us not pretend that money is not important and say that all we want to do is serve. Of course our hearts are there to help others or else this profession would drown us, but we need money to sustain our needs and that of our families. Seeing as the grass is greener on a certain side we need to cons...
 (Total 134 words)