General

First aid: superficial burns refresher

Created by:

29 Jul 2016 - General

A little burns first aid refresher: Firstly, cool running water should be applied to the burn for at least 20 minutes. Cooling and the application of an occlusive dressing will minimise the pain associated with partial thickness burns. Oral analgesics can be taken for short-term pain management. The size, depth and location of the wound; the presence of oedema and blisters; as well as the patient’s social circumstances, age and health status all need to be assessed to determine whether they can be managed at home or require hospital care.

I am curious to know how other health professionals are treating superficial and partial thickness thermal burns. One of our doctors was told by the burns unit that Silvazine (Silver sulfadiazine) cream is not ideal anymore.  An article from Australia has supported this statement, suggesting that it is associated with delayed healing when used in management of partial thickness wounds. What are your thoughts on using Silvazine cream for burns? I would also like to extend this question and ask what other dressings have you found useful for management?  

@An: You are welcome! Is MEBO ointment available in your region? I'm not sue how widely available that ointment is. Just as a precautionary measure, it kind of stinks so you should put on a mask in applying it and inform your patient beforehand to find out if he can tolerate it. As for the hydrocolloid dressings, as Jennifer mentioned, the cost would count. The most commonly used hydrocolloid dressing here in Manila is Duoderm dressing, although there are other brands. It also comes in sever...
 (Total 148 words)
Thank you An for sharing the link. Seeing as results are not statistically different between Silver Sulfadiazine and the alternatives, as Marinelle mentioned, we now would then have to consider the cost differences. It will then be dependent on the financial status of the patient as well as the availability of the treatment in the locality. Though aesthetic outcome is quite important as you wouldn't want a horrific scar from the burn injury, protection from infection is still the priority an...
 (Total 97 words)
Hi Marinelle,
Thank you so much for the info! Very useful. I did read somewhere that hydrocolloid dressings were preferred over silverzine as well. It would be good to be able to purchase both of these over the counter to have on hand in first aid, in particular for workplaces prone to such incidents e.g. restaurants. I remember when I was at home in Australia, one of the staff at my family cafe got a oil spill burn and I couldn't get hold of Flamazine or Flamigel forte from any of the f...
 (Total 108 words)
Hi! When I was a surgery resident, Silver sulfadiazene are mostly recommended by general surgeons for the management of superficial and partial-thickness burns. However, there are lots of studies that suggest that there is lack of evidence that supports or refutes the routine use of this medication for treatments of burns in terms of improved mortality rates, infection prevention and accelerated wound healing. Most plastic surgeons prefer and use hydrocolloid dressings for superficial and partia...
 (Total 202 words)
When me and my sister were kids, and sustained minor burn injuries for being curious about what is cooking on the oven or the vapor coming out from the kettle, it was my mother who gave us first aid. The burns were 2nd degree at most, but we never had to see a doctor. The magic treatment my mother used was alo vera. I still remember the smell of aloe vera leaves on my hands :D The aloe vera leaf has a gel that cools down the skin and it also has some analgesic effect as well. After being a docto...
 (Total 126 words)
This is the article I am referring to: "Silver sulfadiazine cream in comparison to other dressings has been associated with delayed healing when used in the management of partial thickness wounds." under dressing subtitle. There is also a reference (5) to support its' statement. Although it is an old finding, this topic came to my attention recently from a Victorian hospital. As a pharmacist, I still recommended silver sulfadiazine cream for burns and I dispensed many prescribed by...
 (Total 116 words)