General
Doctors, upgrade your salary - what skills do you need to improve?

Doctors, upgrade your salary - what skills do you need to improve?

Shared by:

As much as we would like to earn money, we have to first do our part. And unfortunately, that does not just involve us standing in the parking lot outside the hospital, holding our arms out to the heavens and waiting for the money to rain down on us, no sir - it involves lots and lots of hard work.

today.mims.com

29 Jul 2016 - General

@ Chih Chiang Nieh, congrats for your coming observerships in Massachusetts General Hospital. You will enjoy Boston, great and wonderful city. Please don’t forget to try all the seafood in Boston, and drop by the Cheers Bar in Boston. Should definitely apply for the fellowship programme in Mas Gen, and this will definitely upgrade your skill, your CV, and your salary  Forgot to mention in the prior post, a year of fellowship training (either a clinical or research fellowship) in some well-know...
 (Total 107 words)

I would say the most important factor will be speciality or even sub-specialty training. Nowadays, sub-specialty training is the way forwards for future medicine. Few examples of sub-specialty are like, intervention cardiologist in field of cardiology, advanced endoscopy, Inflammatory bowel disease, transplant hepatology in the field of Gastroenterology, intervention radiologist in the field of radiology, and etc. As Ziwei has pointed out, specialty involved in performing skill procedure ...
 (Total 114 words)
I agree with the strategies mentioned in the article. To add, another way to upgrade your salary is engage in the world of research. From what I've heard, if you make a name in the field, you will earn better than a surgeon for every published paper. It also has the advantage of making a name in the specific area of interest, that can eventually lead to more job opportunities. Another strategy is to improve your relationships with other healthcare providers and patients. Since the medical wo...
 (Total 131 words)
Continuous medical education, or what is generally known as continuous professional development (CPD) is an integral part of development of skills of a doctor. Unlike areas like mathematics and art, medicine is a specialty that changes and improves at a very rapid rate. What we learn as normal today might be considered abnormal tomorrow. What the rational practice is today could be wrong in a few months. So as doctors we have to be up to date with the rapidly changing science and technology. It ...
 (Total 117 words)
@Ziwei: From what I gathered that seems to be the case in Singapore. I like how there is a lot of emphasis on upgrading skills and that you need to gain CME points for renewal of your registration. In the Philippines we are encouraged to join seminars or conventions but there is no emphasis or mandate on upgrading skills. I heard that they will require CME points for future renewal but some of us fear that this is a money making scheme. I would like to look at it positively as this will be great...
 (Total 102 words)
@Jennifer. Singapore place a lot of emphasis on upgrading a doctor's skill. Nowadays a simple medical degree will unlikely get you a job as a general practitioner. They are looking for post graduate training in family medicine. As for the best way to upgrade income, I personally feel is to base your income on hands on skills. A surgeon earn more than others because he charge for surgical procedures. A procedure can easily get you few hundreds to thousands of dollars. You can offer simple pro...
 (Total 143 words)
I have tried shadowing which essentially is almost the same thing as an Observership. Housemanship is part of the British system of training wherein the doctor is still in training and works in a hospital under supervision. Housemanship is like internship. Observership is where you just plainly observe to obtain skills from that said institution. Observerships and shadowing are usually done by junior doctors to be able to get letters of recommendation from doctors they observe or shadow which th...
 (Total 118 words)
As for observerships, I am going to experience one at Massachusetts General Hospital soon in mid September to early October, will update you guys on how it went. But observerships are not as exciting as fellowship or medical student clerkships when one can actually have hands on with patients. Observership one can only watch and see, so if is for surgical disciplines, it may not be as attractive. As for CME, it is mandatory for doctors in Singapore to at least get 50 points for every 2 years t...
 (Total 152 words)