General

Will you ever resort to cannibalism to survive?

Created by:

30 Jul 2016 - General

Although the knee-jerk reaction to eating human flesh is strong, the actual morality and ethics behind those feelings aren't as simple as they first appear.This question comes to me when I was reading a book on famine in North Korea . I put myself in their shoes and thought will I ever consume human flesh for survival. I have decided I will likely will as the last resort to survive. 

Cannibalism occurs in many species and has been a part of human culture for thousands of years.

Sometimes, cannibalism would take the form of eating parts of one's enemies in order to take on their strength. In other tribes, the consumption of human flesh had a more ritual significance.

In desperate times, people have fallen back on cannibalism to survive; for instance, there are reports of cannibalism during the North Korean famine in 2013, the siege ofLeningrad in the early 1940s, and China's "Great Leap Forward" in the late 1950s and 1960s.

In Europe, up until the early 18th century, human body parts were knowingly sold and purchased as medications, particularly bones, blood, and fat. Even priests and royalty routinely consumed human body products in an effort to stave off anything fromheadaches to epilepsy, and from nosebleeds to gout.

In some cultures, once a loved one has died, parts of them are consumed so that they, quite literally, become a part of you. To "civilized" minds, this seems disturbing, but to the minds of those that entertain these "transumption" rituals, burying your mother in the dirt or leaving her to be entirely consumed by maggots is equally disturbing.

ok apparently when you try to edit the post for your little typos the problem below occurs. Let me just repost this with the appropriate tags. Ziwei Xie : What you call I gross I call someone who knows their way around the kitchen. Hey you came up with the small intestine sausage and brain for jelly. I think we are slightly going over board. I would like to blame ...
 (Total 112 words)
Ziwei Xie : What you call I gross I call someone who knows their way around the kitchen. Hey you came up with the small intestine sausage and brain for jelly. I think we are slightly going over board. I would like to blame Marinelle Castro with her "I love the fat ones! *evil laugh*" ...
 (Total 87 words)
@Maria: I saw Alive too! It’s pretty gory, but I like it. To answer this million-dollar question, there is a possibility that I will! But there are clauses. I will make a thorough history of the potential candidates’ medical background. If he has a lot of infectious illnesses, I probably won’t go for it. Secondly, I will check the candidate’s skin if it is clear of any lesions. If there are parts that appeal to me, I probably will go for it. But if the candidate has too many skin lesions, I will...
 (Total 125 words)
@Maria: Oh Sweeny Todd. Now that is a great musical. Dark but great! "Nothing's gonna harm you, No sir, not while I'm around. Demons are prowling everywhere, Nowadays, I'll send 'em howling, I don't care, I got ways"---ya you chop them up and cook them in meat pies that's how! On that topic Hansel and Gretel is a classic story on cannibalism as well. The classic children stories are just immensely disturbing. I was scared of Ginger Bread Houses because of this! ...
 (Total 120 words)
Oh my... to be served your friends for dinner. Ugh gross and sad! No, I will never (even for its benefits) order young females for food. For the sake of surviving, that is truly a different case altogether though. Since we're on the topic of movies about "cannibalism", The Barber of Fleet Street (Sweeney Todd) is another gross example of that, with Helena Bonham Carter turning grinding human meat into ingredients of her meat pie. The kid devours it with much graciousness too---sayi...
 (Total 98 words)
I am surprise I came out with this topic too. However last few days I keep coming back to the same issue. Few days ago I was reading about Kuru disease which was rampant once in a tribe that feed on human brain. Then I read about North Korea Famine in 2013. Yesterday night I was watching Criminal mind which showed a resident in Belize practicing the Aztech warrior culture of eating the fallen warrior. @ Maria . i did not watch Alive but I heard of plane survivors eating the fallen to stay alive....
 (Total 124 words)
@Maria: I don't think I watched that one but I remember a movie where there was a group of tourists who decided to go exploring in South America(?) Anyway one of their friends go separated from the group and they later were invited to eat with some locals. As they were eating one of them noticed something on a piece of meat he/she was eating. It turned out to be the tattoo of their missing friend and they were eating him! I think I may have obscured the details of this story and probably mix...
 (Total 106 words)
Now I have to say this wasn't a topic I would've expected to show up here in this community. Though I shouldn't be too surprised as we seem to talk about anything under the sun nowadays. As much as the idea of eating human flesh makes me cringe but that feeling may just change if the need to survive is at stake. There are human flesh markets in parts of Africa. I cannot recall where as I was listening more to other parts of the first hand story of someone who lived there. It is said ...
 (Total 196 words)
Once upon a time I saw the movie Alive. Has anyone seen that? I am tired to do a research about it now, but I think (correct me if I'm wrong) it was based on true events. Now I'm hoping it isn't. But anyway, in the movie a commercial plane crashed and the plane tore in half. The few that survived were displaced atop a mountain (during winter), it was cold and people were dying off, one-by-one. Anyway, they've gone on for days without food, and then they start starving. Left witho...
 (Total 169 words)