Benefits of chia seedsCreated by:
- Help weight loss. Chia seeds are popular for weight loss. They reduce food cravings by preventing some of the food that you eat from getting absorbed into your system. This blockage of calorie absorption makes them a great diet helper.
- Feel fuller faster: They can also help your diet by making you feel full. This is because they absorb 10 times their weight in water, forming a bulky gel.
- Hydration for athletes: They are also great for athletes because the "chia gel" can hydrate the body.
- Reduce your blood pressure: There's evidence to suggest they can reduce blood pressure.
- Omega-3: They are the richest plant source of Omega-3 (the vital fats that protect againstinflammation, such as arthritis and heart disease). In fact, they contain more Omega-3 than salmon!
- Benefits for diabetes: Because chia seeds slow down how fast our bodies convert carbohydrates into simple sugars, studies indicate they can control blood sugar. This leads scientists to believe chia seeds may have great benefits for diabetics.
- They are easier to digest than flax seeds, and don't need to be ground up.
Whar is in the chia seeds?
Chia seeds have a mild taste and take on the flavor of whatever food or beverage they are added to. When added to liquid, they plump up several times their size and form a gelatinous coating which is easy to swallow and digest. You may add chia seeds straight to products that have liquid, like juice or yogurt. You can make chia gel by stirring 1/3 cup of chia seeds into 2 cups warm water and letting the mixture thicken. The longer the gel sits, the thicker it gets. Chia seeds may also be ground.