Healthy sandwiches recipes!Created by:
- Turkey, Brie and Apple Sandwich on Raisin-Walnut Bread
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon honey
8 slices raisin-walnut bread
4 ounces Brie, sliced
8 ounces thinly sliced turkey
1/2 Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
In a small bowl, mix together the mustard and honey. Spread the mixture on four of the bread slices. Divide the Brie evenly among the remaining 4 slices.
Layer the turkey and apple slices on the cheese and top with the remaining slices of bread, honey-mustard side down. Cut in half to serve.
- Curried Egg Salad Sandwich with Broccoli Sprouts
6 hard-boiled eggs
1/3 cup (75 mL) plain low-fat yogurt
1 tsp (5 mL) curry powder
1 medium red bell pepper, diced
2 green onions, chopped
1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh dill, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
8 slices rye bread
1 cup (250 mL) broccoli sprouts
1 tomato, thinly sliced
In a large bowl, mash eggs with the back of a fork. Mix in yogurt, curry, red pepper, green onions, celery, dill, salt and pepper. Divide mixture among four slices of bread and top with sprouts, tomato slices and remaining bread. Slice sandwiches in half and serve.
- Frittata Sandwich
1/4 cup (65 mL) milk
1/2 teaspoon (3 mL) each salt and fresh cracked pepper, divided
1 tablespoon (15 mL) olive oil
1 small red onion, sliced
1 cup (250 mL) sliced mushrooms
4 cups (1 L) arugula or spinach
1/2 cup (125 mL) roasted red peppers, sliced
1/2 cup (125 mL) crumbled goat cheese
2 pieces of whole grain bread, such as Stonemill Sprouted Grains, Psyllium 12 Grain Rye Bread
- Preheat broiler to low.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and half of the salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In an 8-inch ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until tender and golden, about 15 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and remaining salt and pepper; cook until softened and no moisture remains, about 5 minutes. Stir in arugula and peppers and cook one minute. Pour egg mixture over hot vegetables. Stir gently until bottom begins to set, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle with goat cheese.
- Transfer to broiler. Broil until egg is just set and top is golden, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove frittata from oven and let rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing.
- Cut frittata into 6 portions. Can be wrapped when cooled and kept in the freezer for individual use.
- To make sandwich: Lightly toast 2 pieces of Sprouted Grains, Psyllium 12 Grain Rye Bread. Arrange one portion of frittata over bottom slice of bread and cover with remaining slice.
- From frozen: remove individually frozen frittata from the freezer and place in an insulated lunch bag; will thaw during the morning. If consumed later in the night, let thaw in fridge throughout the day. Place in the microwave for one minute to heat.