Stretch marks!!Created by:
What are Stretch Marks?
Stretch marks are the off-coloured stripes or streaks formed on the skin as a result of swift stretching of skin or weight changes. They mainly appear on abdomen due to pregnancy or obesity. In dermatology, they are termed as Striae. They are formed due to hormonal changes related to pregnancy, puberty, hormone replacement therapy, etc. Stretch marks can be commonly seen on waist, thighs, lower backs, hips, breasts, arms, and buttocks. The skin of the human body consists of
- Epidermis (the outer layer)
- Dermis (the middle layer)
- Hypodermic (the deepest and third layer)
Stretch marks are not a disease, which infects the human body, but are the scars formed due to contraction and expansion of skin. They are basically caused by stretching of the skin. Their appearance depends on the type of skin.
These ugly stretch marks are caused due to:
- The physical stretching of the skin at the end of pregnancy.
- Weight gain specially on arms, thighs, etc.
- Use of certain medications, including lotions, pills, Corticosteroid creams, and steroids.
- Adrenal gland diseases, Cushing’s syndrome, and Ehlers-Danlos syndrome
- Genetic disorders
- Muscle building
- Hormonal changes during puberty
No one would ever like to have stretch marks on their skin. They commonly appear on the places where a large amount of fats is deposited. Some of the symptoms which help to recognize the development of stretch marks are as follows:
- The skin becomes pink, flattened and thin before the development of stretch marks.
- Development of red, pink, or purple lines on the skin.
- Affected area becomes soft in touch.
- At the initial phase, these lines appear wrinkly and somewhat raised.
- With the passage of time, these lines convert into silver or white in colour.
- They may also appear in patches of parallel lines.
- They appear as scar.