General
When you lose weight, where does the fat go? Most of the mass is breathed out as carbon dioxide, study shows

When you lose weight, where does the fat go? Most of the mass is breathed out as carbon dioxide, study shows

Shared by:

Despite a worldwide obsession with diets and fitness regimes, many health professionals cannot correctly answer the question of where body fat goes when people lose weight, a new study shows. The most common misconception among doctors, dieticians and personal trainers is that the missing mass has been converted into energy or heat. The correct answer is that most of the mass is breathed out as carbon dioxide and goes into thin air.

www.sciencedaily.com

30 Jul 2016 - General

It has been a while since I studied biochemistry at medical school, but after reading through I cannot completely agree with what is written in this article. Fatty acid metabolism definitely yields energy. 37 kJ of energy per one gram of fatty acid if I remember right. The carbon, oxygen and hydrogen molecules from fatty acids form carbon dioxide and dihydrogen oxide (water) Most fatty acids in the human body has 14-18 carbon atoms per molecule, and generally the number of hydrogen atoms is 2-3 ...
 (Total 106 words)