General

How to deal with patient who refuse treatment ??

Created by:

31 Jul 2016 - General

In our daily clinical jobs, we are dealing with a lot of different cohort of patients either in hopsital of general practitioners settling. One of the challenge that I believe a lot of Doctor has came across is that some patient may be refusing the proposed treatment or even want to be discharges from hospital agaisnt medical advice. Those are the issues that were rarely been teached during medical school or during the training process. What if a patient who required intravenous antibiotic for severe cellulitis, but wish to be discharged from hospital against medical advice for some reasons ??  What will you do ? I am quite sure that a lot of healthcare professionals do come across the same situation. Always remember that this is a world with freedom, and people will be free to make an informed decision for themselves. 

@ Eileen N & @Mark Edmon Tan, yes something people can a bit stubborn. Taking extra time to explain to them with regards to the potential serious consequences of discharging against medical advice is vital. And trying to find out what are their real concerns of hoping to leave hospital is very important as well. For example, I have came across an elderly lady wish to be discharged against medical advice because she was worried that no one has been feeding her 5 cats at home for few days !!...
 (Total 168 words)
In my clinical experience, I have met quite a few patients. I usually take extra patience to explain the benefits of treatment and consequences of not undergoing treatment. It is true that patients have all the right to refuse but it is our duty to enlighten them on the possible complications from non-compliance. If all means to convince the patient have been exhausted, it is a common practice to ask the patient to put in writing that he/she refuses treatment despite being knowledgeable of poten...
 (Total 97 words)
In my clinical experience, I have met quite a few patients. I usually take extra patience to explain the benefits of treatment and consequences of not undergoing treatment. It is true that patients have all the right to refuse but it is our duty to enlighten them on the possible complications from non-compliance. If all means to convince the patient have been exhausted, it is a common practice to ask the patient to put in writing that he/she refuses treatment despite being knowledgeable of poten...
 (Total 97 words)