General
Choa Chu Kang Polyclinic commits series of errors against patients including a wrong vaccination

Choa Chu Kang Polyclinic commits series of errors against patients including a wrong vaccination

Shared by:

Whether it was sheer bad luck or a series of bad coincidences, Choa Chu Kang Polyclinic will definitely be in the bad books of Singaporean housewife Madam Karen Koh, 32.

today.mims.com

2 Aug 2016 - General

It is unfortunate and it was highly sensationalized. The account from February 2016 didn't seem outrageous but seemed like miscommunication or lack of communication rather. Though due to the obvious bad rep the clinic is now getting from this type of news it would be best to not act on the defensive side but to say things like we will look into this matter and show some reassurance to the public. I have to admit my statement at the end saying that the clinic needs to close for a bit to re-ev...
 (Total 122 words)
Yes thank you Dr Marinelle. Thanks for adding a different perspective to the case. I will like to reiterate a polyclinic in Singapore can see thousands of patients a day, I have my utmost respect for every single soul working in the polyclinic and will like to believe the encounters of the patients have been exaggerated at the very least. I am totally disappointed with the newspaper for sensationalizing the news and participating in character assassination of the polyclinic. Why do they not focu...
 (Total 105 words)
Sounds like a tabloidal account of a compounded series of unfortunate events. When a client is dissatisfied, there's a natural tendency for them to be hypervigilant, critical and even exaggerate stories about how they were wronged. I am not saying that the patient's accounts are not true, but I find it suspicious to have too many errors encountered on one patient by the same healthcare provider. It will be nice if the author of the article also writes about an official statement from the...
 (Total 109 words)
A series of unfortunate events for this Madam Koh indeed. But, as for the nurses administering the vaccine, definitely there was an error there and their competence as nurses should be questioned if this happens repeatedly. We only know one story and that is of Madam Koh and I'm sure there are still more to tell. I just wondered what did the company do with the nurses who committed such errors, I hope that they've been supported more in training and refresh their knowledge of rights of a...
 (Total 111 words)
It is quite lucky that those errors done were not causing some serious or irreversible health complication or mortality. It is very unfortunate that such a series of unwanted events happen to the first patient, with blood tests, filling up form, and eventually the wrong vaccine that may potentially causing some adverse health complications. A typhoid jab was given instead of tetanus jab. Such a mistake is easily avoidable, by double checking the injection before delivering it to the patient. It...
 (Total 112 words)
Looks like it is a one sided account from Madam Koh. We cannot judge the entire polyclinic base on the account of the patient. Was there any plan beforehand to test her cholesterol level at all in view of the fact that she is only 32 year old. The national health guideline states that lipids screening starts at 40 unless she has strong familial hyperlipidemia hx or very obese. The part on the utilisation of medisave its to vague. It is most likely a communication mistake. How can a polylinc whi...
 (Total 206 words)
"nurse had not followed protocol that required her to use the electronic immunisation system to verify the vaccine before administering it"- this is where over reliance to technology tends to make people lazy. It is very important to double or even triple check medication before administering it. I remember from my nursing days how our clinical instructors would watch us like a hawk and scare us about committing errors like that. I understand how we can get distracted especially when t...
 (Total 134 words)