General
TV marathons raise risk of pulmonary embolism

TV marathons raise risk of pulmonary embolism

Shared by:

Japanese scientists have warned that watching too much television - between 2.5 to 5 hours - raises a person's risk of dying from pulmonary embolism by 70 percent, based a 19-year follow-up study they conducted.

today.mims.com

2 Aug 2016 - General

Prolonged watching television will increase the risk of dying from pulmonary embolism. It is a shocking finding !!! Further study will require to confirm it, and recognize prolonged watching television as risk factor for deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism. The reasons behind it should be due to the prolonged period of immobility, causing the clots formation in the deep vein in the leg, and travel to lung causing pulmonary embolism. Physical activities like standing up, stretching and wa...
 (Total 131 words)
I looked up the research and here is some information I dug up: It involved 110 585 participants 40 to 79 years of age and the exclusion criteria was those who did not provide information about time spent watching television and those who reported a history of cancer, stroke, myocardial infarction, or pulmonary embolism. Given that information we can assume that they are healthy individuals with a low-active life style. The potential mechanism they considered in the study was venous stasis after...
 (Total 180 words)
This research would have to be more specific when it comes to which exact position may increase the risk. As mentioned, they suggested/ advised lowering the risk like advising those in long haul flights, so I assume it would be in a sitting position, 90 degree positon? We are mobile when watching television anyway,aren't we? We just don't sit upright and stare at the television from 2.5 to 5 hours. We change position, we put our feet up, we lie down on the sofa and we stand up to get som...
 (Total 115 words)
Phew! Another risk factor for those who are movie addicts, and for those who wanted to stay long in front of the television. What a sad story that almost all of us people are guilty I guess to be a t risk of developing this pulmonary embolism. I wonder how many percent are players of online games are at risk for this? They tend to be secluded in a dark room without proper lighting and ventilation, plus not eating on time and don't have any adequate restroom breaks I guess. Too much or too li...
 (Total 138 words)