General
Doctors and Medical Students More Prone to Depression, Suicide

Doctors and Medical Students More Prone to Depression, Suicide

Shared by:

It is a well-known and yet rarely discussed occurrence among the global medical community, in large part to the continuing stigma held by various cultures against frank conversations surrounding mental health in general, and suicide in particular.

today.mims.com

3 Aug 2016 - General

Kathleen Peralta, it is just unfathomable how some people want to do "initiation" in the workplace. Personally, I have not withheld on information when teaching younger colleagues. I always provided answers and explanation when they cannot provide answers to my questions. The hospital should be a place where nurturing and encouragement is a basic trait. Some colleagues say that I spoon feed younger doc...
 (Total 158 words)
"Also, there is the angle of bullying in the hospital where consultants pick on residents and medical interns or residents pick on medical interns. The hospital is a place meant to guide and groom younger doctors in becoming great physicians. " Mark Edmon Tan , I would like to highlight some of the points you have mentioned. I don't fully understand why such people exists. I meant those who bully t...
 (Total 130 words)
Theekshana Abayawickrama , I hope all is well with your best friend now. Ziwei Xie , Marinelle Castro , Leothel Elysse Mayores, ...
 (Total 197 words)
Being a medical students and a doctor eventually can be quite stressful. There are high expectations for medical students to excel in their study and pass the exam in flying colours. Some people may perceive that finishing medical school will be the end of all the stressors, but it is only the very beginning of the journey, with more stressors down the pathway, like trying to improve CV to get into specialty training scheme, then sub-specialty fellowship, competition to apply for consultant job,...
 (Total 134 words)
I'm sorry but the @ function to mention your names on my previous post didn't work after editing it. Again, Leothel Elysse Mayores Jennifer Winter Ziwei Xie ...
 (Total 31 words)
I am not a doctor and not able to relate to the personal experiences you have had. I feel sorry to those who didn't make it but tried and I'm glad that you are where you are now through hard work, perseverance and with good coping skills.I'm sure there are still a lot of things that you wanted to achieve as doctors in your practice. This may be slightly off topic but I wanted to share the video I've recently seen in social media this morning. I am not in any way promoting this pe...
 (Total 134 words)
Marinelle Castro ""we lose track of our personal lives and before we know it, we are in a mess. It frequently happens.""- I totally agree with this point. I cannot believe how old I am now. It just seems like I was still a houseman yesterday. Life was so hectic over the last 10 years that I regretted not spending more time with the people around me. I hope this is not happening to you. ...
 (Total 159 words)
I saw the ultimate break down of most of my batch mates during clerkship/junior internship. I have to admit that I too had a little breakdown where I feigned illness for a day and didn't enter the hospital. I know of other batches where their group leader quit in the middle of clerkship as he couldn't take the pressure anymore. We all have different personalities but introverts and extroverts alike we all share a common "doctor personality" and we all get affected by the stress...
 (Total 141 words)
My best friend in medical school went into severe depression at the very last year. He was a very bright guy who was ranked in the top 25 at the selection exam and was doing fine in the first 4 years, but in the final year he could not cope up with the stress and work load anymore. He missed clinical rotations because he started to get so anxious and panicked just by the thought of being in the ward. He could not sit for the exam with us, but ultimately got through the exam in the 2nd attempt. H...
 (Total 131 words)
I think one factor that would add (for med students) is students used to having great grades. Suddenly they are plunged in an environment where almost everyone is or was the best in their batch or school, and are as equally competitive as themselves. I remember our Neurology teacher say that "information is your currency in med school", and no matter how intelligent you are, if you have not studied the information needed for a particular exam, you can be in trouble. I think everyone ha...
 (Total 155 words)
I have witnessed a lot of medical students fall into depression because of the hardships of medical school. A lot of them eventually quit medical school while others were able to stay, but with considerable delay when the they go into depression all over again. I have a very close friend of mine, who attempted to commit suicide because he felt so depressed about his work, family life and personal problems. He got drunk and drugged himself by consuming the lethal dose of paracetamol. The next thi...
 (Total 184 words)
Do you know of colleague who is suffering from depression or suicide ? So far in my career, I only know of one suicide case 3-4 years back. This young doctor threw himself off the bridge and died instantly.. I have seen young doctors suffering from panic attack while on call. Doctoring in the early stage can be a very stressful job especially when you are expected to manage cases beyond your ability and working under time pressure. Hostile and unhelpful seniors who belittle the juniors can exace...
 (Total 160 words)