General
Umbilical cord stem cells may help treat eczema

Umbilical cord stem cells may help treat eczema

Shared by:

In general terms, eczema refers to any superficial inflammatory process involving the epidermis. Specifically it is also used to refer to the medical condition called atopic dermatitis which happens to be a severe skin problem which usually takes place during formative years and continues through into childhood. Some people eventually outgrow the condition while in others, it continues well into adulthood.

today.mims.com

3 Aug 2016 - General

I meant to reply the last time I read your comments few days ago and I just got busy. But thank you, Marinelle Castro and Ziwei Xie for your inputs. That saved me from purchasing an expensive aloe vera cream and decided to go the doctor again. As mentioned to him, the mild eczema didn't get better with just the unscented emoll...
 (Total 87 words)
Marinelle Castro Yes cannot agree more. We must remember atopic dermatitis basically have atopy. they can be very sensitive to plant antigen. Aloe vera is definitely not recommended. Phyiogel will be good but I usually prescribed emulsifying ointment which is totally cheap. Dry skin the atopic patient does not absorb medication well and hence adding moisturizer, we can increase skin absorption of topical steroid....
 (Total 152 words)
Kathleen Peralta I don't have any experience in prescribing aloe vera, but it is common practice to use that along with coconut oil and other naturopathic treatments in the Philippines. However, I agree with Ziwei Xie that this is not recommended for atopic dermatitis because these agents may contain proteins and allergens th...
 (Total 119 words)
I will not recommend aloe vera for atopic dermaitits. Why not keep it simple and put on a layer for emollient like emulsifying ointment. Emollient is the mainstay treatment for atopic dermatitis followed by topical steroid during acute attacks. If she has been on steroid for quite a while, you can give her immunomudulator for 2 weeks like tacrolimus cream provided she is more than 2 years old. Get her to avoid heat and sweating. Swimming in chlorinated water can be beneficial but you must try no...
 (Total 143 words)
Marinelle Castro Have you got any personal experience with Aloe Vera? As the more feedback I get, the more I'll be inclined to purchase this Aloe vera gel from forever living (not endorsing this company in any way) as this is the purest form I could get here in UK. I am hesitant to buy it because it's quite costly compared to the emollients I get for my daughter which is free from the government. (I'm...
 (Total 129 words)
Ziwei Xie In response to your question, in the conclusion part of the article, it did mention that "Scientists are of the opinion that by using this property of umbilical cord stem cells, a cream containing cord blood proteins can eventually be developed to ease the symptoms of eczema" and I look forward to this cream! I just can't imagine how much it will cost though. As I've been constantly in...
 (Total 125 words)
I don't think that these stem cells cure atopic dermatitis per se, but rather it probably accelerates skin repair. Since I’m also skeptic about this, I looked for the landmark study at here is the link: http://media.wiley.com/PressRelease/126022/NRU_Ch2_STEM.pdf This clinic trial aims to assess the safety profile of human umbilical cord blood-derived mesenchymal cells on patients with moderate to severe atopic dermatitis. Surprisingly, the authors concluded that there is a significant treatm...
 (Total 123 words)
How do we get umbilical cord stem cell to do this? Logistically and technically difficult as it requires subcutanous infusion. It sounds really promising though given the fact that some case of atopic dermatitis can be so severe and difficult to treat despite extensive usage of emollient, topical steroid, steroid holiday with topical immunoodulator etc. They did not encounter any adverse effect whic is encourging. Maybe helpful for cases going into of exfoliative dermatitis. Have you encountered...
 (Total 111 words)