General
Syndrome K: The disease that saved at least 20 lives

Syndrome K: The disease that saved at least 20 lives

Shared by:

Syndrome K, a deadly, disfiguring and contagious disease was spread among a handful of Jews in the fall of 1943. However, it did not kill them, but rather, it saved their lives.

today.mims.com

3 Aug 2016 - General

World war two was a time of misery, with significant inhumane acts of mass killing. Syndrome K, a great counterfeit medical condition created by the brilliant doctor to save many of the life during world war two. Patients with “Syndrome K”, were indeed all healthy people. The documented “Syndrome K” and the symptoms shown (coughing like a tuberculosis patients), were enough to terrified the German soldiers to run away from them, afraid of contracting the mysterious illness. During the perio...
 (Total 103 words)
Jennifer Winter You are just giving me a whole lot of list of movies to watch. But, I might start with Schindler's List as it is starred by Liam Neeson.

Yes, and my favourite part on the "Life is Beautiful" movie was at the end when "Giosuè emerges from the sweatbox, just as a U.S. Army unit led by a Sherman tank arrives and the camp is liberated. Giosuè is elated and is con...
 (Total 130 words)
"I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm." This is a part from the modern version of the Hippocratic Oath, and I guess this goes to show that we on the health care industry not only do our best to save lives medically but in every way we could. There is a local doctor here in Iloilo City, who is a member of Doctors Without Borders. She has been volunteering on calamitie...
 (Total 190 words)
Ziwei Xie : It is gut wrenching for me to read or stories about what the victims of the holocaust went through as well. For the medical certificate, like Theekshana Abayawickrama I benefited from that as a student but haven't done that either. Anyone watch the movie "The boy in the striped pajamas"? That was such a pa...
 (Total 128 words)
What an interesting story. Risking one's own life to help the lives of many, who are complete strangers needs a great deal of courage. Specially during a time when an act of betrayal or an act against the law would definitely end up in serious punishment or death. I haven't watched that movie, and it really sounds like one I should be watching next weekend :) @Ziwie Well I have not done such thing as a doctor, but when I was a student I have gone to a doctor and got a medical certificat...
 (Total 127 words)
This would have been a great movie. YES! I am really glad to be part of this community as I get to read stories and be in the WW2 by just reading about this Sydnrome K. I am not a keen reader of history but reading about heroic acts by medical professionals in the past, is interesting. "Life is beautiful" is one of my favourite movies and this may not be medically related but it did depict the life of the Jews as well during the World war. Today, I learnt something new. A story to tell...
 (Total 102 words)
I love this story. Should have it made into a movie. So many jews died during the holocaust and have it not been the wits and courage of these people, more would have died. Somehow events of world war 2 still reverberate till today. From world war 2 to cold war to current middle east and Islamic terrorist situation, they are all a series of interconnected events. I cannot bear to read the suffering Jew had to go through during the war. Have you ever came out with a factitious diagnosis to help...
 (Total 118 words)
Syndrome K. Not a real disease but a code name which gave asylum to Italian Jews during the Nazi occupation in WW2. Dr. Adriano Ossicini made up this disease to protect these people. This reminds me of Oskar Schindler who's story turned into a movie called "Schindler's List" starring Liam Neeson. Schindler employed jews in his factory to save them from being deported to concentration camps and to their ultimate death. Then there was Miep Gies who hid the Frank family ("The...
 (Total 105 words)