General

Private Clinics and the ICD 10

Created by:

3 Aug 2016 - General

ICD-10 is the 10th revision of the International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (ICD), a medical classification list by the World Health Organization (WHO). It contains codes for diseases, signs and symptoms, abnormal findings, complaints, social circumstances, and external causes of injury or diseases.

The ICD 10 is commonly used in hospital and public clinic settings but what about private clinics?

For any healthcare professional who have experience working in clinics, do you know about the ICD 10? As a private clinic operator, is ICD 10 consider an important code to use?  What is the motivation factor for the doctor’s to code their diagnosis into ICD 10? 

I am familiar with ICD 10. During my post-graduate internship we had to code all of the diagnoses written in the chart and in the insurance forms. It is a way to organize the diseases for filing purposes. I know the insurance companies need this to give the right coverage and that it is also used for more accurate statistics. So yes I think it is important. When I was in the US last year the clinics I shadowed in were just shifting from ICD 9 to 10 and it was big deal as they had to learn the ne...
 (Total 143 words)