General
The 5 types of scammers that pharmacists meet in their career

The 5 types of scammers that pharmacists meet in their career

Shared by:

Pharmacists meet many different types of patients in a day. While most, if not all of the requests for medications are genuine, there remain a handful of patients who fake their way to get the medications they need. This article discusses the 5 types of scammers pharmacists meet in their day-to-day work.

today.mims.com

4 Aug 2016 - General

Hi @Lianne Marie VIctoria Laruan, we do have very strict regulations when it comes to pharmacy supply, especially for pseudoephredrine-containing, codeine-containing, and controlled drugs. Unfortunately, we still see pharmacists bend the rules for their own patients - whether it be because they are regular patients, or due to the retail aspect of pharmacy, they want more business. This is why patients become more agitated when pharmacists try and do the right thing and obey legislation. But I gu...
 (Total 165 words)
An Chau Its great that you have such protocols in Australia. The problem here in the Philippines is that there are no such protocols in place, and neither do pharmacies have any records to base the history of the patient's medications use. The drugstore system here in our country lacks so much that it is sometimes discouraging for pharmacists to practice in the community field. However, we stll hope that prop...
 (Total 102 words)
Oh this article brings back so many memories of all my encounters. I have definitely dealt with all the scammers, plus more! It is also a common issue in Australia. Drug addiction can drive people to great lengths to get what they need. Another scammer we encounter a lot in Australia are those wanting pseudoephredrine-containing products for cold & flu. Unfortunately, due to the number of cases of drug addicts requesting these, they have placed heavy restrictions and regulations on these pro...
 (Total 306 words)
I remember a parody made by a popular doctor/comedian in Facebook (ZDoggMD) about Chronic Pain on the tune of Blank Space by Taylor Swift! It made me laugh, but also, it made me realize that pain medication addiction is one thing physicians can avoid but being very cautious in prescribing them. To stop addiction even before it starts. I think some people resort to scamming because they are addicted. Of course there are cases where such meds are needed, but I guess measure must be taken to ensure...
 (Total 113 words)
I thought that would have been the case Lianne. I think it is more rampant in small/ family owned businesses rather than pharmacies from big companies as I'm sure their staff would be fully trained and expected to be competent in dealing with dispensing medications. And as you have said, policies on dispensing medication are not strictly enforced. There should be a governing body who would regularly check these pharmacies to ensure quality standards are being met and that they are capable/co...
 (Total 101 words)
Kathleen Peralta Such a situation is very true in the Philippines. Usually, smaller drugstores who may be desperate for sales can choose to dispense medications even without a prescription. Also, in some situations, if a pharmacy assistant is the one dispensing, s/he may be more lenient and not ask for a prescription. That's why a lot of scammers take their chances because sometimes its just a matter of luck...
 (Total 210 words)
This is actually happening in the Philippines. These scammers mostly tried to get prescription from doctors first. There have been a few cases where I was being asked for 1 month supply of weak opioids and NSAIDs. These scammers would then get mad and create some sort of scene when I put my foot down. I did not know that they have a follow-up act in our pharmacies. By the way, do you feel that there is too much liberty with dispensing medications in the Philippines (since we are in a topic of ph...
 (Total 116 words)
I am not a pharmacist myself and hasn't had a personal experience with them but the so called scammers are desperate to get what they want, not to fulfil their health need but to fulfil their addiction to a certain drug which them a different sense of feeling. I may be wrong on my previous statement, but only scammers would do such desperate measures. I had an experience however buying a medication for my dad. It was an antibiotic ear drops and he was able to buy it over the counter before...
 (Total 173 words)
I have experienced some of these “scammers” at one time or another. There are some who are quite obviously just trying to get a certain medication and are resorting to desperate measures, while there are others that really do need the medication yet do not have the appropriate prescriptions. I do understand that sometimes, it’s quite a hassle to wait for hours in line at doctor’s offices just to get a prescription, thus, a lot of patients decide to try their luck by going directly to the pharmac...
 (Total 135 words)