General
Bringing the hospital to your patient’s home

Bringing the hospital to your patient’s home

Shared by:

Radiologists can now see imaging on their laptops as they lie back on their couch. Pathologists can peak through microscopes from the comfort of their own homes. Telemedicine has allowed clinicians to see their patients through video chat and now the hospital is making its way into the homes of our patients.

today.mims.com

4 Aug 2016 - General

Jennifer Winter Thanks, yes I hope developing countries including ours would soon catch on, as it is quite rare here in the Philippines. It would be good to have trained personnel do home care follow-ups every once in a while, Maybe this is also a chance to put to good use the oversupply of nurses here in our country, similar to what ...
 (Total 74 words)
Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan : I believe I read somewhere that in Singapore they have several services for home care like that in Western countries. Anyone from Singapore, please feel free to give your take on this. It seems more to be something done in first world countries but many trends eventually come to us in developing countries and I feel this may just increase in demand soon. I know of some agencies in ou...
 (Total 117 words)
Marinelle -- In UK, PD are still being practiced. And this is the treatment that is mostly done at home. Could you please enlighten me why PD are no longer recommended by nephrologists? Is it due to being high risk of infection? As for home care visits, our health system still does it here. With GP or Advanced Nurse Practitioners (General Practitioners) visiting a patient if it needs be. Normally, what happens is a phone call is done to a certain hotline especially if it is Out of hours. If they...
 (Total 183 words)
I agree with what Mark Edmon Tan has mentioned. There has to be objective criteria before a patient can be approved for hospital-at-home care. It's also a good idea to have trained health personnel and nurses do follow-ups every once in a while, like what Kathleen Peralta mentioned, and an able relative or family member respo...
 (Total 171 words)
Hospital-at-home has its pros and cons. Pros include: lesser anxiety (especially for those with white coat syndrome), less chance of nosocomial infections, continued activities of daily living that lessens the risk of complications of prolonged immobility such as sores, less chance of investment with sickness (the patient sees sickness as "rewarding" because others pay more attention to him/her), and more privacy. Cons include: lack of direct supervision from a trained staff, complianc...
 (Total 157 words)
Regarding renal replacement therapy at home, I'm sure it will be very convenient but I also have concerns about this. Patients on hemodialysis should be carefully monitored because this can cause erratic changes in blood pressure and blood sugar levels. Also, who will access the dialysis catheter/fistula? Training on this takes a lot of time and effort. Its impractical and dangerous for patients to access their own fistula or dialysis catheter because its technically difficult and it runs th...
 (Total 108 words)
I work with patients with End stage renal disease and as the article has mentioned there are ways to have their dialysis treatment to be done at home, all thanks to the advancement in technology. Some form of dialysis treatments can be done at home but is at higher risk of infection. With the patients that we look after now, in the dialysis clinic, we encourage them to be more involve with their treatment. We started with one patient who inserts her own fistula needles and we just assist her wit...
 (Total 163 words)
It's the way healthcare started in the homes. I want to add that advance practice registered nurses and more specifically, nurse practitioners are part of this movement. Together as a team, healthcare staff can help our people be healthier. This is a great way of showing patient-centered care. Healthcare approach where our health system will be centered around Predictive, Preventive, Personalized, and Participatory. A key member in this paradigm is the patient and family. This is truly pa...
 (Total 79 words)
It's the way healthcare started in the homes. I want to add that advance practice registered nurses and more specifically, nurse practitioners are part of this movement. Together as a team, healthcare staff can help our people be healthier. This is a great way of showing patient-centered care. Healthcare approach where our health system will be centered around Predictive, Preventive, Personalized, and Participatory. A key member in this paradigm is the patient and family. This is truly pa...
 (Total 79 words)
This is a great idea as it comes with various benefits such as patients being more aware about their own care, thus increasing compliance. Also, such a set-up makes it more comfortable for the patient, as many people find being a hospital inpatient very uncomfortable and stressful, as well as being a hassle to loved ones who have to stay with them throughout their hospital stay and bring the necessities from home such as clothes, etc. Though not all patients would have the ability and training f...
 (Total 142 words)