General
A bar owner in the UK has built a Faraday cage to stop customers using their phones

A bar owner in the UK has built a Faraday cage to stop customers using their phones

Shared by:

The owner of a cocktail bar in the UK has turned to physics in an attempt to force his customers to actually talk to other instead of just staring at social media all night.

www.sciencealert.com

4 Aug 2016 - General

I do not need a Faraday cage. Just put my wife in front of me while eating and it will be more powerful than the Faraday cage yet I can continue to receive emergency calls. However i think having a cell phone is handy when you are in a big group and you are close to no one. Instead of trying to avoid eye contact or trying too hard to get into the chat, I can see look busy on the phone answering some important message. This will help ease the tension around the table and make me feel less awkward...
 (Total 138 words)
Theekshana Abayawickrama I guess people inside the bar would not know the difference once they are drunk. No one answers calls inside a bar anyway but I find the concept unsafe for emergency situations as Jennifer Winter mentioned. Furthermore, it is double whammy for us doctors since we might miss emergency calls. In my point of v...
 (Total 115 words)
Jennifer Winter That's true, I also would love to be in a place where no one would be staring at their mobile phones, but at the same time I would want to keep my phone online for any emergency. I don't want to be the last one to know that a terrorist group has taken over the city while we were enjoying a glass of wine. :D
 (Total 126 words)
I love this! i wish there are a few bars that does this in Singapore. There will be instances when you tagged along with a bunch who spends 23 hours of their life looking at their phones rather then connecting with people. I have been in one occasion when it became too awkward i just told them i needed the rest room, but i just left. And they never saw me ever again.

Sometime it is hilarious when you see our generation trying to connect with the older generation but the older ones are j...
 (Total 151 words)
I like the idea on encouraging people to talk to each other as it does irritate me when I am in a group and everyone is on their phone instead of talking to each other. There are signs in some places that say "No Wifi here, talk to each other!" Cut the wifi but none the cell signal completely. I do agree with this statement in the article "blocking all phone reception at the pub isn't something that would go down particularly well" as I would like my phone to be open to r...
 (Total 138 words)
What do you think about this move by a bartender in the united kingdom? The society today is so much attached to their smartphones and computers that they actually spend less time with people. Even when people are in a social event, at a party, restaurant or bar, the phones are a big distraction. This place in the UK has made it's walls impermeable to electromagnetic waves, making mobile phones function-less. Although the phones still can work offline, the people inside will be completely bl...
 (Total 117 words)