General
The exciting life of being a cadaver

The exciting life of being a cadaver

Shared by:

The silent mentors of many doctors and healthcare professionals; are you willing to be one? Demystifying the conceptions of "body donations", the story of the life of being a cadaver can be gruesome, yet exciting.

today.mims.com

4 Aug 2016 - General

My cadaver was a homeless man. His last meal was a carrot because that was what we found still in his tummy. Maybe the anatomy class with a cadaver did increase my interest in anatomy but that was as much as it went. I last learn that Singapore is scraping the cadaver dissection as we are running out of cadaver. No body is keen to donate their body. We still have a cadaver museum in my school which can allow us to appreciate anatomy . Will you donate your body in the future for medical students?...
 (Total 127 words)
Ziwei Xie : Looking back to anatomy class where we dissected our cadavers I did find it useful. We did do a botch job eventually after trying to keep everything as neat as possible but I know I learned anatomy a lot better by studying a cadaver. Maybe it depends on what field of medicine you plan to enter one day. I remember one of my classmates would even wash the insides of their cadaver and boy was that a clea...
 (Total 89 words)
Seriously I cannot imagine people seeing me naked when I am dead. I am sorry but I am a selfish guy. While I do not mind been mined for organs, I will not want to be a cadaver. I know as a doctor I should be selfless and think about the people who needs my body for training. However, I find it unnecessary to have a Cadaver to train as a doctor or surgeon. I cannot even remember how it was like when I had my anatomy class. most of the images that I conjured in my brains are photos from my anatomy...
 (Total 130 words)
Eileen N: That is such a brilliant system! "Give and you shall receive" or in this case promise to donate your organs later and you will receive organs when you need them. So out of curiosity, what about before you turned 21? Your parents have to sign forms that say in the event that their child dies his/her organs will be donated? I personally think an empty coffin won't help the people we leave be...
 (Total 117 words)
I am an active advocate of organ donation and I participate in counseling the families of my patients who are already brain dead and are good candidates. When I renewed my passport this year, I signed a document that I agree to being a donor. If cadaveric dissection is still used by medical students in studying anatomy by the time I die, I have no problems about donating my body for dissection. However, there is a clause. I want my brain and spinal cord dissected by a neuroanatomist. In particul...
 (Total 132 words)
In the Philippines, the cadaver is treated with utmost respect. A Mass is held for them before they are transported in the anatomy laboratory since we are in a Catholic country. Even the people who embalm the cadavers are well-trained and know human anatomy parts by heart. Of course, the consultants and us medical students say prayers and gratitude to the cadaver's soul before and after each session. I feel that teaching with the cadaver cannot be replaced with plastic and synthetic kinds of...
 (Total 196 words)
In Singapore, unless you opt for personal or religious reasons, you are automatically counted as an organ donor. If you opt out of it, I think it affects your place in the organ transplant waiting list in the event that you ever require one. I remember receiving the form when I turned 21 and didn't really give it much consideration. To me, it felt like the right thing to do after death. After all, it's such a waste to simply let reusable organs go to waste when there are people who need ...
 (Total 151 words)
Well this was an interesting read. This reminds me of the question we are asked when we renew our driver's license on whether we are organ donors. If you skip this part they do not ask you anymore whether you want to donate or not but they immediately check they you don't. I remember a time when they did ask me if I would be an organ donor, when I said yes the person asking me was shocked. As long as my organs are healthy and viable to donation why not? I although may not be willing to b...
 (Total 247 words)