General

A Doctor's Life in Summary

Created by:

4 Aug 2016 - General

Photo from Dr. Emilio Villanueva III

This Latin Quote was posted in our alma mater's (University of Santo Tomas Faculty of Medicine & Surgery) facade and medical informatics center.

In Translation:

Art is long,

Life is short,

Experiment is dangerous,

Judgment is difficult.

This beautiful remined encompasses everything that doctors face everyday. Another personal favorite is a sign that used to be posted in the hallway of our medical school that reads "Not all of the deserving are privileged." Whenever I passed by this sign as a medical student, I felt gracious to have all this seemingly insurmountable and unending chores because it meant I was in a position to pursue my dream. Do you have a favorite go-to-quote or reminder that helped you propel through medical school?

Ziwei Xie : Oh why restrain yourself from quoting GOT? You know you want to. So what is it? "What is dead can never die, but rises again, harder and stronger." "Valar moghulis." "Winter is coming." "The north remembers!" Ok a serious one could be Tyrion Lannister's words to Jon Snow about being criticized. "Let them see that their words can cut you and you’ll never...
 (Total 115 words)
Ziwei Xie , please fire away with your Game of Thrones reference. I am a Game of Thrones nerd as well! "Nil Sine Labore " which means " nothing without labor" and "first do no harm" are the skeleton of medical practice. These are very nice quotes you shared with us. The intent to treat does not justify putting a patient at risk. Also, the benefit should always outweigh the risk. Nothing without labor is a good referendum to our job description. People often think th...
 (Total 111 words)
Maria Cristina Inserto ,your statement "I cannot rush on things and make compromises or shortcuts, because your patient (even if he arrived late) deserves proper care." is gold. As healthcare providers, we must always act professional and think of the patient's best interest. I also agree about not taking shortcuts with patients or with our climb to our professions because nothing worth it comes easy...
 (Total 115 words)
Jennifer Winter , that is a refreshing take on the "this too shall pass" quote. “He who studies medicine without books sails an uncharted sea, but he who studies medicine without patients does not go to sea at all." This quote is very true because the patients have been one of our greatest teachers. For hospital rounds, I muster courage to answer with doubting myself during clerkship by living with...
 (Total 114 words)
I have a temptation to quote something from Game of Throne again but i will restrain myself. When I was in junior college, my school motto was "Nil Sine Labore " which means " nothing without labor". Whenever i get exhausted during my endeavor, I will remember " Nil Sine Labore". I cannot remember any motto on display around my medical faculty. My person motto when managing patient is " first do no harm ". Sorry do not have any fanciful quote to share but...
 (Total 136 words)
Art is long, Life is short, Experiment is dangerous, Judgment is difficult. --- This is nice, indeed. The world is very fast-paced but in "our world" we need to cope with the speed of life. Sometimes when you come into the clinic, you see a full page of appointments and you're working on clockwork. But Art is long. In my practice I do not like it when patients overlap--which means I hate it when patients come late because we time patients according to their procedure (that way, onl...
 (Total 208 words)
That indeed is a beautiful quote. The quote that propelled me through medical school is "If you love what you do you'll never work a day in your life." A few of my batch mates would use the "this too shall pass" line whenever they were faced with any struggle during clerkship especially. I personally feel that quote to be a band aid. It patches it up for a while but the discharges would still drain through it. It has set a negative aura to the situation wherein you see th...
 (Total 199 words)
Marinelle Castro Great to know that you are a fellow Thomasian physician! Thank you for identifying the rightful owner of the quote. Yes, that is in the preface of Harrison's internal medicine. Another favorite quote of mine is from the USMLE review " Like a kidney stone, this too shall pass."
"Sometimes, patient actually seek consult because they only want someone to talk to. I've enco...
 (Total 131 words)
Hi Mark, I'm a fellow Thomasian almuna! Anyway, that quote was written by Hippocrates in his Aphorisms. Aside from that, my other favorite quote from Hippocrates is "Cure sometimes, treat often and comfort always". If I'm not mistaken this quote was written in the preface of Harrison's Internal medicine book. This quote serves as an inspiration for me because there's a lot of truth in it. In reality, we are not infallible and it is not possible to cure every patient we ...
 (Total 136 words)