General
China's actually built that awesome bus that drives over traffic

China's actually built that awesome bus that drives over traffic

Shared by:

Engineers have finally completed a full-scale moving mock-up of China's wacky transport idea, the Transit Elevated Bus (TEB) , a large straddling bus that allows cars to drive underneath it.

www.sciencealert.com

4 Aug 2016 - General

Actually this bus needs a track on both sides to run on. It cannot run on undesignated route and hence it cannot be an ambulance. Why not just build a light rail train . It is basically a train which allows smaller vehicle to run below yet risk vehicle colliding into it. A light rail train not running on the road will eliminate the risk of a road traffic accident involving the giant vehicle. If you look at the height clearance of that thing, I am afraid an ambulance or a lorry will have diffic...
 (Total 111 words)
I saw a video of this online and I thought it was amazing--but wow! China has already done it. You are right Eileen N. This would be an amazing feature for ambulances because it can reach people even if traffic is really heavy. It's large too, so it can function much like a mobile hospital, right? But then it may be an issue since some roads are too small---so I assume these buses can only do straight-line jo...
 (Total 171 words)
To use it for ambulances would be brilliant! Currently in Singapore, there are laws mandating that other vehicles will have to give way to ambulances on the road (Under the Civil Defence Act, it is an offence to obstruct a person carrying out emergency duties. Offenders can be fined up to $5,000, jailed for up to six months, or both. Under the Road Traffic Act, obstruction of emergency vehicles responding to an emergency carries a fine of not more than $160 and four demerit points.). But there a...
 (Total 142 words)
@Alan Rosmadi Isn't it only in the concept design that the bus was supposed to run along an electric track. I think the prototype that china made doesn't need to be on a track. Or at least that is what I understood from the article. Roads in China are pretty wide as I have heard, sometimes even 6-8 lanes per side. So if these busses or future ambulances were to run on these highways, maybe they can dedicate two or three lanes for these busses as needed and restrict other vehicles that ar...
 (Total 101 words)
Hey guys, this is insanely an innovative idea that they have come up with. For once they made something ORIGINAL. Anyway, Theekshana Abayawickrama Mark Edmon Tan i totally agree that ambulances can adapt this but you looking into the practicality of the idea, it is somehow impossible. We got to take into consideration that this veh...
 (Total 146 words)
Mark Edmon Tan Yeah I agree, ambulances could greatly benefit from this technology too. The situation is not much different here in Sri Lanka. During peak hours it takes at least half and hour to transfer a patient from the nearest hospital to the national hospital of my country for an emergency. Even within the hospital, to transfer a patient from the medical ward to the Coronary Care ICU, it takes about 10 minu...
 (Total 113 words)
Theekshana Abayawickrama I was thinking of the same thing. I want to know the vertical clearance for vehicles that can pass underneath. Kudos to China for developing the Transit Elevated Bus (TEB). I hope that we can have a similar model for ambulances of smaller scale. It would make a world of a difference here in the Philippines considering the horrible traffic situation. It could potentially cut ambulance trave...
 (Total 81 words)
It has only been a few months since I saw the concept design of a bus that runs over the traffic. And now China have actually developed a prototype and they are already on the roads. The bus is so wide and tall that it allows other cars to pass underneath it. It's like having two layers of road. How cool is that! Of course there are problems with this design. But if another taller vehicle comes from behind, will they have to stay behind this bus forever.. Anyone from China here who has had t...
 (Total 111 words)