General
Olmsted Syndrome: The rare genetic disorder that labelled three girls as the 'untouchables'

Olmsted Syndrome: The rare genetic disorder that labelled three girls as the 'untouchables'

Shared by:

In India, three sisters with a rare genetic disorder were born to unaffected parents. However, with only 70 cases recorded in history, they face a predicament for diagnosis and treatment.

today.mims.com

5 Aug 2016 - General

Ziwei Xie : This is the first time I have heard of the syndrome. You are right with the description. According to Andrews' Diseases of the Skin: Clinical Dermatology 10th edition, it is characterized by mutilating palmoplantar keratoderma and periorifical keratotic plaques. Ki-67 staining of suprabasal keratinocytes finding suggests that Olmsted syndrome is a hypeiproliferative disorder of the epidermis. Tre...
 (Total 129 words)
Olmsted syndrome is a very rare and severe cicatrizing keratoderma associated with periorificial lesion. Most cases are sporadic but familial occurrence has been also seen. Anyone here have experience in treating palmoplantar keratoderma? I encounter few before but most of them secondary to severe psoariasis and definitely no where as severe as what was described. Usually I will give mine pumice stone to scrub their feet , apply topical salicylic acid and medication for underlying condition. The...
 (Total 119 words)