General
Doctors: Why you should get involved in medical outreach progams

Doctors: Why you should get involved in medical outreach progams

Shared by:

Out under the desert sun, your sun kissed skin is in searing pain. You are covered in sweat and the blood of your patient, with eyes aching to sleep. Above the screams of your patient you hear gun shots in the distance - going on medical outreach can be as such, but don't worry, not all of these programmes will put your life at constant risk.

today.mims.com

6 Aug 2016 - General

Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan: a medical mission= dole out is a very common notion. I agree and disagree with this. Yes it is helpful as you are providing free care to them and care they have difficulty accessing and at them same it does not help them grow. Back in my nursing days, when we were immersed in the community, we would make a Community Development Plan (CDP). The CDP always reminded us that we should mak...
 (Total 151 words)
Mark Edmon Tan So true! I think we all have this need in us to give back. And I’m also sure that all of us here know that giving away our services and skills without asking for anything in return actually gives this fuzzy, warm feeling. As Priscilla Mae Gobuyan mentioned, outreaches aren’t only about giving away something, but al...
 (Total 184 words)
Going into outreach programs is not just touching lives of other people but also for our personal growth. Their stories could serve as an inspiration and an eye opener for us who are priviledge enough to live a life of comfort compared to the less fortunate. I have joined several medical mission including the life theeatening ones. Being in the middle of the open sea for 2 hours without seeing any land of mass in our visinity is more than scary enough for a medical mission. However what matters ...
 (Total 106 words)
Mark Edmon Tan : "medical outreach is not limited to remote areas. Outreach happens everyday!"--- I wholly agree with you there. Just the mere giving free consultations and simply helping out of friends with their medical needs is "outreach" in it's own way. I tend to hear a lot that medical outreach programs or commonly termed here as medical missions are just dole outs. They serve no sus...
 (Total 154 words)
I would like to share the insight of Jack Ma , business tycoon, on people who are doing well with business. He stated something like this (not in verbatim) " If you are rich, does that mean you have a lot of money? No, that is not your money. That is the trust that society has put in you." This is a very powerful observation that can be translated to the medical field. We owe our profession to society, parents included of course. In the Philippines, doctors are the ones that give lectu...
 (Total 282 words)
I shared something like this before and I talked about the latest medical/dental mission I joined: http://www.thedramaqueencantellstories.com/2016/04/working-with-arms-asian-relief-and.html

Anyway, this article opens with a glimpse into the risks taken by medical personnel who go into the sidelines of battlefields, far away from their comfort zones. I immediately thought, "Oh this is a different medical outreach", but then shes continues by saying, you do not have to go to war...
 (Total 241 words)